Thread: Water proof Boots

Water proof Boots

Was wondering what to use and where to get/buy water proof boots for MD in the surf? What might everyone be using and why. Any advice would be helpful.
    Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Tom; 02-03-2014 at 03:05 PM. Reason: spelling
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

great question Tom , I know i'm tired of using my old sneakers and getting them and my feet wet. the smell of bare feet and sea water reek pretty bad after they start to dry out .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

What about those fishing boots?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Paullywog55
    Most detectors here in Ontario uses scuba diving boots. They are made of neoprene and are great for beach and sand.

I usually just wear a pair of my dive boots.
    The Best That You Know Is The Best That You've Had

Yep, dive boots are probably your best option. Any other kind of boots will just become a pain when you get wet sand in them.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

The only time that I usually use boots are in the winter but I think that I'm going to invest in a good pair that go over my shoes, especially when it's muddy in a field or something like that cause when you get back home you can just pull them of and spray them down good with a hose and hang them up to dry. I see a lot of the guys over the pond using them all the time on the youtube videos.

For the inland field hunts I use Boggs (farming boots) Waterproof, but not as rigid as work boots. I can usually find a pair for about 80 bucks or so (tall version). About 65 for the shorter version. They last about 2-3 years depending how rough you are on them.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

In the surf...when the water is warm enough to stay for 4-6 hours I wear either a shortie or long wet suit and a pair of dive 5mm dive booties with a heavy rubber sole. I wear breathable fishing waders in cooler water during the summer, 5mm neoprene waders in the winter. I buy the boot foot waders NOT felt sole to pervent cross-contamination in the fresh water ponds I detect in. Also in the colder months I wear 31" long gauntlet neox gloves. Even the past four nights at 28-44 degree F air temp and 39 water temp I was warm enough to stay a couple of hours in the surf. Stay warm, and be safe in the surf.

Hello everyone, thanks for the reply's and info. Thought I'd show what I have been using. They are "Boss" Boots, bought them at Lowe's for something just shy of $40.00 in the hardware section. They are designed to fit over your shoe, but I have to tell you that while I can get them on over my sneakers it is a struggle. So far been working okay but a bit clunky and maybe just a little too short. Although I suppose no matter how high they go one will always push the limits of depth so to speak. I think that dive boots might be the way to go in the summer when the water is a bit warmer and you don't mind getting wet above them, I'll be looking into those. Although maybe just sandals in the summer too!
    Name:  BossBoots.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  5.4 KB
    Last edited by Tom; 02-05-2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Although maybe just sandals in the summer too!
    You'll never catch me detecting in the water in sandals! Too many bad things end up in the water.
    Check out the finds from my very first water hunt and you'll see what I mean.....you just never know.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Best That You Know Is The Best That You've Had

Not to mention all the fish hooks.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Veteran Member
    You could always try a set of fishing waiters. Good luck

Broken glass is what I always worry about in the water myself

Just came back from a nice vacation in the sunny south, but I must say never walk on the beach or water detect in your bare feet. I personally found at least 5 broken bottles with caps still on while detecting. All the ones I found I collected and put them in the garbage receptacles . Hate to think of what would happen to anyone who would have stepped on one of them with their bare feet. Had a man watching me on the beach (who was in his bare feet )thank me for removing these sharp objects from the beach. A word to the wise, always wear quality foot wear on the beach. All of us have a responsibility to make the world a better place for us and our children.