Thread: XLT faded screen

XLT faded screen

Picked up a new (to me) Royal 800 coil over the weekend and dug the detector out of the garage to put batteries in and clean it up. Excited to get out there again!

FAIL

The detector comes on and appears to be going through the normal startup... however... the display is faded in parts (hard to read the screen).. some of the data is clear, a lot not. When I last used the detector (a couple years ago) it worked fine.

Has anyone experienced this, and if so, what was the fix?

For now i'll figure out how to put it into relic mode and go with that.

thanks!

couple of questions i have are ...

was the detector subjected to any extreme heat of cold while it was stored ?? was it in any kind of direct sunlight at some point?? and was it stored for that long with the battery in it ??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

First impression is that it is the screen itself. Probably the easiest is to call White's directly and have a tech answer that for you. It probably will require repair at the factory. They have historically been very good about pricing on repairs. But it may take a couple of weeks to get it fixed if you choose to do so. Transit time alone can be a week plus. But for now, keep it in a very warm area and try some other batteries and see if it recovers. On our DFX's, we had the screen do weird things when we detected in the snow and the temp hit zero LCD screens do not like that
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Probably condensation caused it to fail, I think there's a way to use the DFX LCD screen on it along with a resistor to make it work. You can actually buy the parts from Whites if you choose to fix it yourself from what I've read on their forum.