Thread: the real spirit and treasure of this hobby

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

the real spirit and treasure of this hobby

From the land of the Bluenose.......recently there was a contest on a forum asking if you remembered your first time out detecting. Tried as I might I couldn't recall that day but it did bring back a few memories and a smile to my face.

I see that Stevie O (Arizona) shared a few of his memorable moments of the hobby with us and the response was overwhelmingly positive. This leds one to believe that this hobby is one that not only embellishes life long friendships instilling one with intestinal fortitude, a sense of accomplishment but a way to purge one's soul while maintaining that small child in all of us. To see a grown man (or woman) kneeling down diligently digging a hole in the earth envisioning a find of a great lost treasure and being happy with a penny epitomizes the spirit of the hobby.

Along the way we have all encountered adversity , despair and moment of fleeting joy and have continued on; what to an outsider would be comparable to King Arthur's Knights quest for the Holy Grail. Here too the common threads are evident in the bonding, devotion and endless pursuit of the quest.

Let not politics, religion, personnal petty differences nor even inclimate weather deter us from this unique hobby where the greatest treasures of all are....... a friend, a laugh and finding one's self.
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Well put Leslie!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Yep. This is one of life's joys that really does give back. I will detect until I am too old to remember how to turn on the machine
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Nicely written Les, thank you.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Well said Leslie
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Very well said !!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Wonderfully put! Thanks I tend to be optimistic even when finding lots of trash, just happy to have some "me time". Can totally relate to the inner child part.

I know several people who claim metal detecting has ''saved their lives" by finding a passion. And found passion for living-depression from having cancer, passing of a spouse, suicide of a child, depression in general...
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Друзья привет.
    Давно не был у вас в гостях . Извените что пишу тут , нету переводчика .
    Хочу сказать спасибо всем моим друзьям кто поддерживает мою страну Украину ...
    По моему на нас напали русские ))) Я никогда не думал , что они на такое способны против Украины )))
    Мы украинцы готовы воевать против них , правда на нашей стороне .
    Иногда я рыл окопы времён 2й мировой войны и находил там боеприпасы и остатки вещей советских солдат ... Но я никогда недумал , что лет через 50-100 кто-то будет откапывать мои кости и мой старый ак-74 )))
    Всем удачи друзья и спасибо за поддержку Украины !!! Слава Украине!

Quote Originally Posted by serega View Post
    Друзья привет.
    Давно не был у вас в гостях . Извените что пишу тут , нету переводчика .
    Хочу сказать спасибо всем моим друзьям кто поддерживает мою страну Украину ...
    По моему на нас напали русские ))) Я никогда не думал , что они на такое способны против Украины )))
    Мы украинцы готовы воевать против них , правда на нашей стороне .
    Иногда я рыл окопы времён 2й мировой войны и находил там боеприпасы и остатки вещей советских солдат ... Но я никогда недумал , что лет через 50-100 кто-то будет откапывать мои кости и мой старый ак-74 )))
    Всем удачи друзья и спасибо за поддержку Украины !!! Слава Украине!
    Hi Serega! Great to see a post from you! I have been thinking about you with everything that is going on over there in the Ukraine. I ran your post through Google translate:

Hi friends .
    Have not you been at a party . Sorry that I write here does not have a translator .
    I want to thank all my friends who support my country Ukraine ...
    In my opinion we were attacked Russian ))) I never thought that they are capable of is against Ukraine )))
    We Ukrainians are ready to fight them , the truth is on our side.
    Sometimes I dug trenches times 2nd World War and found there the remains of ammunition and things Soviet soldiers ... But I never nedumal that in 50-100 years someone will dig up my bones and my old ak -74 )))
    Good luck to everyone and thank you friends for supporting Ukraine ! Glory to Ukraine !

Amen, Leslie. You have a phenomenal way with words, truthful words.

Fantastic Leslie