Thread: First time of year. First time with new detector.

First time of year. First time with new detector.

Went today to an old ferry launch. There is no old structure or rock retaining wall left. It was used up til late 1800's. It wasn't 10 min until I found a coin... well.. token. I got two other hits closer to the water, both machines found they were non-ferrous. Could not pinpoint it or dig deep enough. The new one said it was between 50 cent and $1. The ground was still frozen in some areas and kept bending the trowel. I needed a shovel. I gave up after about an hour and a half. I need to go back when the ground is not wet on top and frozen under. Lucky there was awd suv instead of my car to get there.

Name:  20140316_191702.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  25.4 KBName:  20140316_191645.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  25.6 KB

Veteran Member
    Congrats on the find. It looks like it is in great shape. Safe & HH

At least your out diggin. Congrats and HH
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Great to see you could get out. Love tokens, any kind, new or old. Often unique and sometimes just make you laugh. I was digging in some deep, deep briars well into the woods last year and popped something out of the hole that looked like silver initially. Got excited, then looked to see it was some weird aluminum laundry token that said "Suds n' Duds". Just had to laugh thinking, "How on Earth did this thing get here".

BTV Digger

Congrats on your token
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

I love finding tokens. Thats a great find.

Great score on the token

Thanks all. Good to get out and try. It's better than nothing, wish I could have found the two big hits I had. I think its time to invest in folding shovel, something more sturdy, and a pinpointer. The fact my MD says only movement allows detection and placing in the holes for big hits and it going off on it's own without movement (or very little movement) makes me wonder what was underneath. It kept going from 50 Cent to $1 and the number kept changing. Possible rare earth magnet? But older MD should say ferrous if it was a magnet because they are usually Lodestones. Neodymium and rare-earth are manufactured. Theres always time to go back and check again.

As far as the token goes, I cannot date it. It's less than 75 years old but more than 4 years old. The Roger Williams Mint (which the RWM marking on it stands for) was 75 years old and the CEO of the company was part of a $10M scandal in 2010 where coins were used in canada because they matched another coin. They were bought by another company. If the details matter, you can google it. Judging by it around 3" deep it was probably 30 years old or less. Ive seen one or two of these before in my life. Like the Garden State Parkway toll token I have, I wonder if its still valid. Lol.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 03-17-2014 at 06:25 AM.

And it won't be the last one of those you'll find...

on getting out and doing some digging
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Nice find. What is your new machine?
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Well, not new technology but new item to me. I remember looking thru the lost treasure magazines and seeing bounty hunter always advertised and I liked how it shows you what's expected in the ground. It's a bounty hunter time ranger. I searched online some before I got it and after I got it. It used to be their top model at $700 but now it's discontinued. But I found it for under $200 new. It does have a build date of 2014 and parts built 2004, I'm guessing they had still spares they were building to deplete inventory. I'm sure it has more capability than I got with my first trial to see how it works/reacts.

Well no chest of gold today, but you did get a cool token. Besides, you still have to get back there when some of that ground unfreezes. Sounds like a good site to have some older coins.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Yes, George I intend to go back. The ground was frozen only within the first 15 feet of shore (altho shore was actually 8'-10' above the water line). I read an article before and to correct my previous statement, it ceased operation in 1927, not late 1800's. It has potential there.

Congrats on the token Jim , I'm sure there will be many more keepers from that area .

love the avatar picture by the way

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Love tokens too! I have only found two to date! Good job. I didn't see you mention the brand of detector though, just wondering.
    Eurotek Pro, Tesoro El Dorado
    best find: 1881 $5.00 gold coin
    oldest find: 1864 Indian head penny
    garrett pro pointer

It's tough digging in frozen ground.......ground finally thawed out last weekend here in Staten Island,NY......tokens stamped no cash value,which are in good condition like yours is......and is a parking token.....is probably less than 20 years old....but that site looks very promising......be sure to go back....congrats!

Congrats what did the token ring up as?

Otis, I did mention in post #11.

Magic, really? I didn't think they were still around in the 90's, that's why I figured 80's as in almost 30 years old.

MrNoGood, it rang up as a "zinc 1˘/S-cap" and it was 73. Not a big number but I knew it wasn't the same as what the aluminum cans were ringing up as.