Thread: Great Saturday! Made new friends and was given access to a Rev War/Civil War Property

Great Saturday! Made new friends and was given access to a Rev War/Civil War Property

So I was out "free-styling" as the guys on American Pickers call it. I was riding around an area about 10 minutes from my house that's part of the "Civil War Trail" and just trying to find a place to hunt. Well there was this old looking house with a little stone building in the front and the building at the front of the property was definitely 1700's construction that is easily identified around here. So I said wth.. I'll go ask. (Completely ready to Break Contact once the shooting started) So I knocked on the door and guy came out, I put on my friendliest face, told him my name and told him I saw how historic his property was and that I would love the opportunity to do some metal detecting.. He looked pretty apprehensive at first and said he only let's these two guys from.. well we'll just say it's a state further north to come MD his property and that it was probably picker over, but he said he'd show me some areas within sight of his property I should probably tryout. After we kept chatting for a while he asked " well.. do you have your equipment here?" I said I did and he said oh wth.. you can give it a go.. those other guys weren't actually here for very long and as far as he knew I was only the 3rd guy to ever be here with a detector. He later came out and we talked some more and he told me I could come here anytime I wanted. I told him I would call first and he said don't bother. I asked him what he liked to drink he said beer and the more redneck the beer the better so I told him he'd know every time I had been there because a 12 pack would be under his patio. From my estimate the entire property is at least 50 acres. He said the original house was built in the 1700s and was probably built as a hunting lodge by Lord Fairfax. The barn on the property which you'll what's left was burned down my Gen Sheridan in the Civil War. We sat and talked a long time and he went into the details of the history he knew about the property and area... let's just say AMAZING and I couldn't have found a better place or a nicer couple (I met his wife later and she was as just as sweet and gracious as he was)
    After about 4 hours of digging it was getting dark and I didn't find anything like buttons or civil war relics but I did find a lot of period artifacts and covered WAAY less than 1% of the property. Just that place alone will keep me busy for a year or more. I'll be hitting it at least every Saturday. I'll post some videos and pics of my finds.
    So... never be afraid to ask. Yeah... you might get shot at.. but they just might say "YES"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGdmMKgBt3U

Name:  March 22 2014 finds.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  67.8 KB

Veteran Member
    Good luck and HH keep the finds coming.

Congrats on your finds. Good luck on your future hunts.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

I'm on the next plane smokin'!

From the vids, the site looks very promising! Have a good time and take it slow!
    Minelab CTX 3030
    Minelab Excalibur II
    Minelab GoFind 60
    Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
    Garrett AT ProPointer
    Garrett Recovery Tool
    Stealth 720i Sand Scoop
    Vibra-Quatic 2 Pinpointer
    Land and Sea Pinpointer
    Lesche Digging Tool
    Lesche 40" Shovel
    Lesche Piranha Shovel
    2007 Jeep JK to get me to where the treasure is!

My Youtube Channel! American Digger in Europe:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/AmericanDiggerInEurope

A dream site, on asking and making some new friends. Please keep is posted on your future hunts,
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quite envious here. You are one lucky dog to have found that gem (the couple and the land)! Hope you come up with something really awesome.

Thanks all.. Trying to get ol' Trapster and Plug to come up and give me a hand this weekend... if this weather cooperates!

Thats a very generous offer GreenHat , I hope you all do very well at this area.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Sounds very good. Post. Post. Post
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Got about 4 hours in digging here this weekend. I'll spare you the 20lbs of farm junk I pulled out of the ground but here's the stuff I figured was worth keeping. Nothing great but its all old.. That's for sure. Everything on this property is 9" or deeper. After a lot of pondering.. the land owner and I figured the big ring was wagon wheel hub but that's just a guess. Not sure what the little gear looking thing is other than everyone I show it to thinks it goes to a pocket watch.. really no telling.The little cap looking thing has threads as does the square nut. Now the picture doesn't do the large horse shoe justice. It is the biggest horse shoe I have ever seen. When I pulled it out, I thought it was a gaming shoe until I saw it still had tacks in it. If anyone has a better idea on what true identity of the objects above.. I'm all ears.

Name:  mar 29 2014 1.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  73.3 KB Name:  5.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  59.8 KB Name:  1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  76.2 KB Name:  4.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  74.4 KB

The horseshoes could definitely have come from draft size horses, used to pull plows. Your finds mirror my hunts. I love finding 'whole' items, even if iron. Scrap yards take the iron.

Congrats on the new hunting grounds and the sweet finds!
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

In case you don't know, knock off as much rust as you can and then take a wire brush to it. After as much rust as possible is removed, boil the horseshoe in cooking oil for about 10 minutes. Turn the shoe over and boil for another 10 minutes.

This removes O2 trapped in the show and turns it a metallic black color and the shoe won't rust again unless exposed to water for a long time. I did that with a horseshoe that I found for my wife and it looks great!
    Minelab CTX 3030
    Minelab Excalibur II
    Minelab GoFind 60
    Garrett AT ProPointer
    Garrett Recovery Tool
    Stealth 720i Sand Scoop
    Land and Sea Pinpointer
    Lesche Digging Tool
    Lesche 40" Shovel
    Lesche Piranha Shovel

Quote Originally Posted by ODA 226 View Post
    In case you don't know, knock off as much rust as you can and then take a wire brush to it. After as much rust as possible is removed, boil the horseshoe in cooking oil for about 10 minutes. Turn the shoe over and boil for another 10 minutes.

This removes O2 trapped in the show and turns it a metallic black color and the shoe won't rust again unless exposed to water for a long time. I did that with a horseshoe that I found for my wife and it looks great!
    Nope.. didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.. I was definitely wanting to clean those up to see if there is any markings. Is there any markings on horseshoes that would indicate if they were of military origin?

Quote Originally Posted by ODA 226 View Post

So you deep fry your horseshoes? Do you serve them with gravy? LOL Can you do that with any rusted iron item?

Here's a pic of thehorseshoe I found in January. It was heavily rusted and encrusted. I took a hammer and "gently" knocked off all the rust I could and then took it to the auto shop on base and took a wire brush to it on the grinding wheel. I came home, boiled it in cooking oil for 10 minutes, flipped it over cooked it for another 10 minutes (or until you don't see a steady stream of bubbles coming from the object). It turns the iron a beautiful metallic black and it WILL NOT rust again.

Serve hot with a biscuit and gravy to KCFindIt. LOL!

Name:  DSCF0466.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  74.2 KB
    Minelab CTX 3030
    Minelab Excalibur II
    Minelab GoFind 60
    Garrett AT ProPointer
    Garrett Recovery Tool
    Stealth 720i Sand Scoop
    Land and Sea Pinpointer
    Lesche Digging Tool
    Lesche 40" Shovel
    Lesche Piranha Shovel

Mmm, Mmmm, chicken fried horse........shoes!
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!