Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: last two hunts

last two hunts

Yesterday I got out with Coinnut for a full day of cellar hunting . My first decent sounding target was this very large shoe buckle .

cleaning it i was please to see the ornate design work that was tooled into it

Then a short distance from the buckle i got a very good but "one way" tone and wasn't quite sure it was a copper . happy it was

from the picture it looks as though lady libery's head has some damage or a counterstamp at the moment its soaking so the verdict is out at the moment.

later in the day i picked up my second crotal bell for the year this one is a "petal" type

with the initials
    S N on the bottom . this is the information i got up on the maker .

"Seth North, born 1779, died 1851, was the younger brother of James North. Seth originally worked with his father as a blacksmith, but about 1801 he started to cast sleigh bells with his brother James after James and Joseph Shipman (below) ended their brief partnership. Seth took over full operation of the North foundry in 1803 after James moved to New York state. (18) Seth's early bells have a U-shaped cast shank. His later bells have the drilled shank that characterizes most New Britain sleigh bells.

Seth was active in a variety of business pursuits in New Britain throughout his lifetime. His bell foundry closed in 1840."

this example has the "U" shaped cast shank so its one of his earlier bells

heres the rest of my take ,

other notables were a suspender clip and a small sash or ribbon buckle . there was one small area where i almost thought i had multiple coin targets in a 2ft area in a field but turned out to be about a dozen copper rivets . from a horse reign

these finds are from today as I got with our very own MangoAve (Jim) for a few hours to hit a cellar hole . pickings were slim to say the least if your up for another try at it Jim let me know and we'll try to get something scheduled , maybe with a few members.thanks for the company today sir .

the button is one of them heavy silver plated type and the shoe buckle was a great sounding target but was just under a copper signal . At first i pulled just the chape and tongue up but quickly checked the hole to hear the frame , does it still count as a whole one Dave .

thanks for looking and thanks to Jim for putting up with me
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Everyone is posting today I just love it. Glad to see your posts Dan, looks alike some decent hunts. That crotal bell is a beauty and I love the Large Shoe Buckle..
    Did you hit it with the renz wax? It cleaned up nice. Can I assume you used brass bush and then the wax???
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Veteran Member
    That is an awesome shoe buckle and in great condition. Congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy View Post
    Everyone is posting today I just love it. Glad to see your posts Dan, looks alike some decent hunts. That crotal bell is a beauty and I love the Large Shoe Buckle..
    Did you hit it with the renz wax? It cleaned up nice. Can I assume you used brass bush and then the wax???
    just brass brushed it under the faucet is all Todd haven't even waxed it yet but i will once i get the luster i want. its strange it has only one support crossbar one the one side though and there are 6 tiny holes undeneath the frame (3 on one side and 3 on the other .

Quote Originally Posted by Timewarpdigger View Post
    That is an awesome shoe buckle and in great condition. Congrats!!
    thanks Timewarpdigger , they are a favorite of mine to find .

some great buckles! yeah you can count it as a complete one never seen one with that crossbar type thing hmm..interesting
    Last edited by HEAVYMETALNUT; 03-29-2014 at 06:15 PM.
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    some great buckles! yeah you can count it as a complete one never seen one with that crossbar type thing hmm..interesting
    thanks Dave , i've seen them with two crossbars on either end but not one . maybe it was a "special" right or left shoe buckle

Sweet finds Dan! I like the crotal best. Ball still move inside?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Sweet finds Dan! I like the crotal best. Ball still move inside?
    oh ya Drew , i'm two for two with them this year

Nice, finds, Dan. Love the history on the crotal bell.

That's a great hunt and I really like that frame it's different.
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

That buckle cleaned up nice Dan . you had a good day after your machine settled down. Was real nice to get out and be warm and see NO snow My day started out with a small button right away. I had high hopes for these sites, but soon after that first find my machine was falsing on iron like never before. I couldn't get it to quiet down, so for about 80% of the hunt I got a lot of junk and almost no keepers. I was trying everything and figured I was done for the day. Them little nails sounded like good targets. Then the machine settled down and it started hitting targets hard and not falsing on the iron. What a difference. So for the last hour or so I managed to save face with 3 coins and a bunch of buttons. The 1852 large cent was surrounded by iron and was about 4" deep. The 1864 2 cent piece had some iron near it and was 3-4" deep, and the colonial slug copper (possibly a Geo I) was in a bunch of iron at around 4-5" Not only did my machine settle down, but it did better than ever in iron. I just hope this weeks hunt I get the better of the two moods my machine has
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

holy ferrous batman !! thats a lot of iron sure glad it kept you busy for the better part of the day , you might have embarrassed me good but i am glad you save the day with those respectable keepers is that an 1868 two center??and the large cent is sweet looking

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    holy ferrous batman !! thats a lot of iron sure glad it kept you busy for the better part of the day , you might have embarrassed me good but i am glad you save the day with those respectable keepers is that an 1868 two center??and the large cent is sweet looking
    it's an 1864 2 center. I just haven't had time to clean them up yet. You better glue that iron piece under my coil again for next hunt. We both had a great hunt even though it didn't start off so. But no one was out there and it was a gorgeous day. Even the rain waited for us to get to the truck.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Nice hunting guys. George sorry about your machine being tempermental but you pulled it out in the end. Dan, nice shoe buckle and thanks for the info on the crotal bell.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Wow what a nice assortment of finds, love the shoe buckle it cleaned up nice!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Great Finds, Congrats.
    Got to love those old coppers
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

WTG Dan. You must have been in your glory getting a couple days of hunting . Now that the weather has broke, things are going to come alive and all the sites with be busy.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post

these finds are from today as I got with our very own MangoAve (Jim) for a few hours to hit a cellar hole . pickings were slim to say the least if your up for another try at it Jim let me know and we'll try to get something scheduled , maybe with a few members.thanks for the company today sir .

the button is one of them heavy silver plated type and the shoe buckle was a great sounding target but was just under a copper signal . At first i pulled just the chape and tongue up but quickly checked the hole to hear the frame , does it still count as a whole one Dave .

thanks for looking and thanks to Jim for putting up with me
    From George's take, It looks like he ended up digging more iron nails than I did. And my palm still hurts a little from the few areas of still frozen ground I decided to try and dig. Yes the pickings were slim but there were at least two buttons found and your shoe buckle and the iron tool tip I let you have. The other piece of iron I had was actually a folded strip maybe 6-8" long total.

There are so many celler holes there just waiting. I can hear them coins. You didn't tell that we did find a coin. I found the clad in the parking lot once we got back . A 2009 quarter. Must be worth 25.5 cents with inflation. But yes Dan, gotta refine my hunting so I am def down for another try.

Putting up with you? Haha I thought I was the bigger pain. Thanks for taking me along.
    Last edited by coinnut; 03-31-2014 at 08:43 PM. Reason: removed duplicate pictures

Great finds, both of you and good to see you have clear ground now! Still slowly losing the snow up here, but hopefully gone over the next few weeks. Was this a new site(s) or an old familiar place?

BTV Digger

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Dan, nice shoe buckle and thanks for the info on the crotal bell.
    Thanks Al , i'm off to a great year with crotal bells and shoe buckles

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    Wow what a nice assortment of finds, love the shoe buckle it cleaned up nice!
    Thank you Tony the brass brush does wonders to get the crusty dirt and give it that sheen and contrast

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Great Finds, Congrats.
    Got to love those old coppers
    Don the copper cleaned up pretty well but does have some "pre-dug" damage

Quote Originally Posted by fsa46 View Post
    WTG Dan. You must have been in your glory getting a couple days of hunting . Now that the weather has broke, things are going to come alive and all the sites with be busy.
    Frank the last couple of hunts the weather has been beautiful and I'm just enjoying the outdoors and fresh air , the finds are just a plus . thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    From George's take, It looks like he ended up digging more iron nails than I did. And my palm still hurts a little from the few areas of still frozen ground I decided to try and dig. Yes the pickings were slim but there were at least two buttons found and your shoe buckle and the iron tool tip I let you have. The other piece of iron I had was actually a folded strip maybe 6-8" long total.

There are so many celler holes there just waiting. I can hear them coins. You didn't tell that we did find a coin. I found the clad in the parking lot once we got back . A 2009 quarter. Must be worth 25.5 cents with inflation. But yes Dan, gotta refine my hunting so I am def down for another try.

Putting up with you? Haha I thought I was the bigger pain. Thanks for taking me along.
    Jim your enthusiasm was great if you can set that machine to ignore most of those iron targets you'd save a bunch of time for finding the good stuff. keep some of them iron nails and make a test garden in your yard , try different settings to see if you can get them to be more quiet. A sturdier digging shovel and you'll be all set for the next hunt. hey thanks for all that info you sent me by the way

i added the large cent before and after pictures too. this coin was a great candidate for the hot peroxide bath.
    Attached Images Attached Images