Thread: A lot of digging but not much to show for it

A lot of digging but not much to show for it

Hiked out to a site that's been on my list for a while. Was a bit disappointed to see it wasn't as old as I had hoped. It looked mid to late 1800's and the finds confirmed that.

I dug a lot of deep high tones but it was just a lot of typical farm brass. Managed to pull an IHP from the iron trash. It is a big site so I'll head back there at some point and search the outer areas. Whoever was there before me, left too many deep targets behind. I suspect I can find a goodie or two.

It was a fun hunt anyway.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Hey Jeff, what's that tapered harmonica reed all about? I never saw one. I bet those targets sounded good. Lots of hunting area means lots of goodies. I love your pavers Good luck on your return.
    PS You found a USA button with thread? Did you post it?
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 03-25-2014 at 04:56 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Jeff , I've been fooled by how old a site was by the look of the cellar before . Some look far older than the really are and some look much newer than they are but the finds and targets you recover don't lie about when the place was active. If your hitting deeper high conductors around there your sure to find a couple of nice keepers.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

keep at it bud! i'm sure you'll sniff out a bunch more!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

I bet there is a goodie or two hiding in there..looking forward to what you will find!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Great bunch of digs ya got there any site that old around here is hard to find, you guys out east are spoiled I'm sure there's some nice goodies hiding in that area.

That site still holds some goods. The deeper stuff usually is better anyways. Finding deep targets that someone else left is a real good sign. Dan and I have hit some sites that did not produce the first time in, but later gave up a lot of coppers. Even getting out to a site like that is a good day in itself. Just not seeing any snow and being able to dig is great Did you ever get a date off of that Indian. Sometimes the early dates can be better than a crusty copper.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Veteran Member
    Well like you said you still enjoyed the hunt. I have had several more of those types of hunts then the memorable ones. Safe & HH

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Hey Jeff, what's that tapered harmonica reed all about? I never saw one. I bet those targets sounded good. Lots of hunting area means lots of goodies. I love your pavers Good luck on your return.
    PS You found a USA button with thread? Did you post it?
    Drew, you've never seen a tapered harmonica reed because you only hunt 1600's and 1700's cellar holes If you could bring your self to hunt an 1800s site you would find plenty of them. It seems the reeds to the big harmonicas are all tapered like that. I think I found that USA button just before I found this site. I am setting up an photo album and will post a pic there.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Jeff , I've been fooled by how old a site was by the look of the cellar before . Some look far older than the really are and some look much newer than they are but the finds and targets you recover don't lie about when the place was active. If your hitting deeper high conductors around there your sure to find a couple of nice keepers.

Dan
    Dan, the site looked "old" on Google Earth

Quote Originally Posted by giant056 View Post
    Great bunch of digs ya got there any site that old around here is hard to find, you guys out east are spoiled I'm sure there's some nice goodies hiding in that area.
    You know Giant, you are right. We east coasters are spoiled. Once we get into the old stuff we get hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    That site still holds some goods. The deeper stuff usually is better anyways. Finding deep targets that someone else left is a real good sign. Dan and I have hit some sites that did not produce the first time in, but later gave up a lot of coppers. Even getting out to a site like that is a good day in itself. Just not seeing any snow and being able to dig is great Did you ever get a date off of that Indian. Sometimes the early dates can be better than a crusty copper.
    You are right George. No snow, no ticks, plenty of nice sounding targets = Good hunt. The IHP cleaned up pretty nicely. 1893.

Always good to get out no matter what you find...
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

Every hole you dig that doesn't have what you consider a great find in it.. is one hole closer to a great find. I think it's easy to get on a forum and see all the "great" finds people are posting but you don't see the metric tons of trash they went through to get it. I know I for one honestly believed I could buy a great detector and given the right hunting ground, would find relics, old coins etc.. day one. LMAO.. after the first few times out, I realized I had to do some major readjustment of my expectations and realized I needed to enjoy the hunt as more than the find (or I wasn't going to last long in this hobby), which I now do. You got some great stuff there and I enjoy the posts that give perspective to the all the other HALLALUEYA posts!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHat View Post
    Every hole you dig that doesn't have what you consider a great find in it.. is one hole closer to a great find. I think it's easy to get on a forum and see all the "great" finds people are posting but you don't see the metric tons of trash they went through to get it. I know I for one honestly believed I could buy a great detector and given the right hunting ground, would find relics, old coins etc.. day one. LMAO.. after the first few times out, I realized I had to do some major readjustment of my expectations and realized I needed to enjoy the hunt as more than the find (or I wasn't going to last long in this hobby), which I now do. You got some great stuff there and I enjoy the posts that give perspective to the all the other HALLALUEYA posts!
    I like what you have to say, GreenHat. As a newbie to the hobby, I have done plenty of digging in the past 6 months, and I don't disc. out iron, because I do like to see what's down there and what the machine reads, in an effort to learn. And the false notion I had in my head, completely ignorant of the facts, that a coin or a piece of jewelry is going to come out of the ground "looking good", was one of the first lessons I learned along the way.

Well you just never know. Better then the couch
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHat View Post
    Very true GreenHat. Location means a lot. The newbie with the $150 detector could have found quite a few of my really nice finds if they just put their coil over the target. It is really hard to have a "bad" hunt unless you break a leg or step on a wasps nest or something like that. The thrill is in the hunt as they say. But sometimes you research an old site and you think you may have a chance to be the first one to hit it. You have visions of coppers jumping out of the ground as you walk by swinging the coil. When reality sets in you may be a bit disappointed BUT it doesn't mean it wasn't a good hunt. If you measure success by having to get that killer find, then you are in the wrong hobby.