Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incredible yard! 24 wheat cents/7 silvers/1 coin ring!!!

Incredible yard! 24 wheat cents/7 silvers/1 coin ring!!!

Hey diggers,
    I had some time after work so I did some door knocking. First house I went to gave me the okay. The house looks to be about 100 years old on a large corner lot. Coins every couple of feet! It's as if someone kept throwing coins in the yard for years and it looks like they did it during the 1950s and 1960s! I quit digging wheat cents because they were so frequent and I was trying to cherry pick while the daylight lasted. I hunted almost 3 hours. I found 62 coins total! 24 wheaties, 7 silvers, and several nickels from the late 1940s & 1950s. Two of the dimes have been hit by a lawnmower. I probably covered about of fourth of her yard. I'm going back on Saturday. The coin ring appears to be made from a standing liberty quarter. I can make out "UARTE." Tell me what kind of quarter you think it is. Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

I would say so, nice finds. Congrats!!!

Wow what and incredible day you had hunting, big congrats on all them silvers and wheats

.................................................. ...

Congrats. I was about to ask what you did to those two dimes. Frustruated digging and hit them with the shovel? lol. I have not seen a coin ring thus far. The only thing I can tell that was distinquishable was one of the series of quarters had a dot between quarter dollar, but the three versions before the state quarters all said "quarter dollar" and all roughly the same part of the coin. Only the liberty had the dot.

Nice hunting Daddydigger. You know its a good site when you quit digging wheat's. Definitely a coin ring but I can't confirm which quarter. Hope Saturdays hunt is as productive and look for that piece of the rosie.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Incredible hunt, Dave! Wow, look at all that silver! I can't wait to see what else you find in that yard when you have more time to hunt it thoroughly.

The coin ring is a fantastic find. I've never found one. After studying images online, I'm kind of leaning towards Washington Quarter.

Man, what a fun site to hunt that must be! Congrats!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Wow! Heck of a hunt!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

That yard is going to be fun for a while. After you get all them surface targets out of the way, I wonder what is hiding deeper down. That must have been a fun hunt for sure. As for he coin ring, I think it's a Washington quarter. The lettering on a Washington are fatter than on a Standing Liberty. Plus the right "leg" of the R bows inward "(" on the SLQ and not outward ")" like the GW.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Elite Member
    Awesome! However....I'd dig those wheat sounds...I have found MANY times in the past that they end up being silver dimes. But I too would probably cherry pick first then go back over again and "clean up"
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

That sounds like a "Dream Yard". Ill bet you cant wait to get back.
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Nice digging Daddy, you got the spot! Very nice!
    Eurotek Pro, Tesoro El Dorado
    best find: 1881 $5.00 gold coin
    oldest find: 1864 Indian head penny
    garrett pro pointer

I'm curious, did the homeowner see what you found, or were they even curious at all? Did they hang out with you while you were digging?

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    That yard is going to be fun for a while. After you get all them surface targets out of the way, I wonder what is hiding deeper down. That must have been a fun hunt for sure. As for he coin ring, I think it's a Washington quarter. The lettering on a Washington are fatter than on a Standing Liberty. Plus the right "leg" of the R bows inward "(" on the SLQ and not outward ")" like the GW.

I was leaning toward the washington as well, however you had the good call on the 'R'. I never noticed it because I haven't seen many SQL. ....and I should have just pulled up the larger pic of the SQL. Figuring the age or property and age of coins, I ruled out the barber. I figured the person used a newer coin versus an older coin. As in hypothetically it was made in the 60's from a penny, why would you use the wheat instead of the memorial given they are both 'full' copper? (They said clad isn't a good choice for making those rings)

BTW, I just noticed your 'signature', Daddy. That's hilarious.

WOW, what an incredible day you had. That sounds like everyone's dream yard. And to think you're going back Saturday.
    Congrats on your finds and good luck on your next hunt there.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Congrats! Looks like you had a great hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by KCFindIt View Post
    I'm curious, did the homeowner see what you found, or were they even curious at all? Did they hang out with you while you were digging?
    The homeowner is widowed and the house was her husband's childhood home. His family bought the house around 1945 even though it was rumored to be haunted. He and his 6 brothers grew up there and he inherited the house, married her and they raised their children there. I showed her everything I found and she has no problem letting me keep the coins. I did however offer to pay her half the value of the silver coins so we agreed on $1 per dime and $2.50 per quarter. Not a bad deal in my book!
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    I agree, it's a Washington! Thanks for helping me out with the ID. Dave.

very nice silver count in that yard Dave , keep it up and Tony's numbered of times being jealous of you will only increase well done
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Veteran Member
    Great hunt and congrats!! Awesome ring. Safe & HH

That's a very nice hunt. Good for you
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com