Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ticks

Ticks

What does everyone use for tick repellent? If I just walk through the woods, I will get deer ticks on me, and I am highly allergic to their bites. Once bitten, it takes 5+ months to heal, and itches for at least 3 or more months. Am hoping y''all have found something that really works to keep them away.

Ticks! I hate them!! I use permethrin spray to treat my cloths. I can be hard to find sometimes. Give myself a good dousing of DEET before I head out. Tuck my pant legs into my socks. I just ordered Rynoskin tick proof underwear. Del has been using a similar product and swears by it. Walmart online had it the cheapest.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Wow, thanks Lodge Scent. Good information. I forgot to mention, Chiggers. They are just as bad for me. Does the above remedy apply for Chiggers too?

Quote Originally Posted by KCFindIt View Post
    Wow, thanks Lodge Scent. Good information. I forgot to mention, Chiggers. They are just as bad for me. Does the above remedy apply for Chiggers too?
    This is an old folk remedy for chiggers but it really does work. Put a little sulphur around the tops of your shoes or boots. Sometimes I just sprinkle a little in my shoes. I never get bit by harvest mites.
    The deet will help but it won't be perfect. It seems like some people just attract ticks more then others. You could try wearing shorts. That way you can feel them crawling on you and have an opportunity to pick them off before they bite you?

Quote Originally Posted by freemindstuck View Post
    This is an old folk remedy for chiggers but it really does work. Put a little sulphur around the tops of your shoes or boots. Sometimes I just sprinkle a little in my shoes. I never get bit by harvest mites.
    The deet will help but it won't be perfect. It seems like some people just attract ticks more then others. You could try wearing shorts. That way you can feel them crawling on you and have an opportunity to pick them off before they bite you?
    I've worn shorts before (while cutting/baling hay) but got eat up by the chiggers. Was able to feel the ticks before they bit, but chiggers are killer for me.

i use deep woods,...........a product found in any good joke shop lmao

Now that is what I did not like when I was down in GA and FLA, those stinking bugs! Hate'm.
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

Kasey , I've been wearing a two piece suit called Bugskinz . its like a very thin spandex or silky feeling fabric that stretches , under my normal blue jeans and short sleeve shirt. its very "Light" feeling and you really forget your wearing it. since i've been wearing it ( 5 to 6 years now) I haven't had a tick attached to me yet.Its also great for chiggers and even though the mosquito's can still bite through the thin material a little deet sprayed on them will last much longer than if you sprayed it on your skin. I will also treat my jeans with Permethrin as an extra precaution .

heres a link to the shirt and pants that i get from Cabelas.

http://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Clot...type%3Dproduct
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    ...its like a very thin spandex or silky feeling fabric that stretches , under my normal blue jeans and short sleeve shirt. its very "Light" feeling and you really forget your wearing it.

Sounds like panty hose to me!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Sounds like panty hose to me!
    to keep them critters off me i'd consider wearing them Dave But Coinnut has the legs for them especially when he adds the bright red pumps to the ensemble
    Last edited by del; 04-02-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Kasey , I've been wearing a two piece suit called Bugskinz . its like a very thin spandex or silky feeling fabric that stretches , under my normal blue jeans and short sleeve shirt. its very "Light" feeling and you really forget your wearing it. since i've been wearing it ( 5 to 6 years now) I haven't had a tick attached to me yet.Its also great for chiggers and even though the mosquito's can still bite through the thin material a little deet sprayed on them will last much longer than if you sprayed it on your skin. I will also treat my jeans with Permethrin as an extra precaution .

Thank you so much for that tidbit of info. I will most def. be looking into that, as I'm plagued with the problem, during hay cutting season, dog walking, and now MDing. I will try ANYTHING that you guys say works.

Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    i use deep woods,...........a product found in any good joke shop lmao
    Lee, I've used Deep Woods, but I apparently miss a vital "path' up my leg, cause I always end up with a dang tick. And sometimes I go hunting on a whim, unprotected, and of course, regret it later. But it was good at the moment.

Candidate Member
    I use Rid lice spray, which I purchase at Wal-Mart, it has the permethin as the active ingredient. This is not for use on skin but spray down your clothes with it and it should be good for about four washings.

Quote Originally Posted by archerrussell View Post
    I use Rid lice spray, which I purchase at Wal-Mart, it has the permethin as the active ingredient. This is not for use on skin but spray down your clothes with it and it should be good for about four washings.
    Thank you, archerrussell. And nice to meet you. My name is kasey and am in Georgia. What state are you located?

I use this
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

where did you purchase that type of application Todd ?? i could only find it in a spray can

Candidate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KCFindIt View Post
    Thank you, archerrussell. And nice to meet you. My name is kasey and am in Georgia. What state are you located?
    I am from western Kentucky, small town called Leitchfield, twin lakes area Nolin and Rough River lakes.

I am from western Kentucky, small town called Leitchfield, twin lakes area Nolin and Rough River lakes.
    thanks for the input Archerrussell , do you metal detect too or just bow hunt ??

Candidate Member
    I start spring break tomorrow, and am expecting delivery of a new at pro spring special from Bart of Big Boy Hobbies tomorrow, i have been trolling for awhile though doing research. I am a newbie can't wait to get started.

I start spring break tomorrow, and am expecting delivery of a new at pro spring special from Bart of Big Boy Hobbies tomorrow, i have been trolling for awhile though doing research. I am a newbie can't wait to get started.
    I'm a 5 month newbie, and I can attest that it is highly addictive, and it doesn't take great finds to be addictive. I hunt as often as daily! If I don't go somewhere, I swing on my farm. If nothing more, I'm cleaning my pastures, one beep at a time!