Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ticks

Man, I don't envy you guys at all! We've got ticks here but not nearly as bad as back east it sounds like. I haven't had one since I was kid back around the civil war. My dog gets them from time to time though. And I don't even know what a chigger is. Biggest problem here is poison oak.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

My Rynoskin tick and chigger proof pants and shirt came in today and I will be wearing them this weekend. They are VERY lightweight and hopefully very breathable.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    My Rynoskin tick and chigger proof pants and shirt came in today and I will be wearing them this weekend. They are VERY lightweight and hopefully very breathable.
    Jeff they are probably very similar to the bugskinz brand which are very "breathable" , no more tucking your pant legs into your socks
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I think it was amazon
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    where did you purchase that type of application Todd ?? i could only find it in a spray can
    I found this exact product at walmart the other night, $9.97 in the sporting goods aisle in the insect repellent section.

I've been very fortunate all of my life, I always manage to find them before they bury their heads in me except for one time I had one on my back that got the best (blood) of me but I managed to get him out. I might ad I picked him up while metal detecting too.

Man, I hate ticks. Really hate them.

This may change my mind about ever going relic hunting in the woods. I may have to end up buying a ox knob on ebay
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

This is going to be a bad year for ticks it seems.I went out yesterday in the woods for about an hour 1/2,and found two ticks on me.I normally spray myself with deep woods OFF with deet when the weather warms up,but wow it`s only April.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Man, I hate ticks. Really hate them.

This may change my mind about ever going relic hunting in the woods. I may have to end up buying a ox knob on ebay
    Go out now while there are no leaves on the small brush. In about a month it will be much easier to get a tick. I just saw a few mosquitoes up this way while hunting. Luckily they were only trying to land on my arms while I had a jacket on.

Todd, what can't you get on amazon?

What the heck are chiggers and do we have them in CT?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Chiggers are also called Redbugs, and they are for all intent purpose, microscopic. They get on your skin and bury in you and itch like holy h___! The more you scratch, the more they itch, because they are alive. They make a small red mark like a mosquito bite, and you will generally find the bites/itches the next day after being in the field. They favor blackberry vines, so I always get them when I pick blackberries. They will bite in patches, i.e. you will have many bites in the same few inches. Bad bugs for sure. They are as bad for me as ticks.

I just received 1 Gallon of CedarCide today for our dogs, to use for tick and flea prevention. It is suppose to be alot safer that all of the chemical applications. Our younger german shepherd seemed to have a bad reaction to Frontline. We are planning to go to our cabin soon and I will let you know how it works on ticks, chiggers and gnats. I would bath in it if it helps, the chiggers are horrible up there.
    It is made from cedar oil and corn solvents and can be used by us two leggers as well as pets.
    I hope it works! It came highly recommended from another dog lover.

Quote Originally Posted by KCFindIt View Post
    I found this exact product at walmart the other night, $9.97 in the sporting goods aisle in the insect repellent section.
    Thanks Kasey , the pump spray bottle would seem to be the better way to go .

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Drew they are also known as "town tax and property assessor "

Quote Originally Posted by KCFindIt View Post
    Chiggers are also called Redbugs, and they are for all intent purpose, microscopic. They get on your skin and bury in you and itch like holy h___! The more you scratch, the more they itch, because they are alive. They make a small red mark like a mosquito bite, and you will generally find the bites/itches the next day after being in the field. They favor blackberry vines, so I always get them when I pick blackberries. They will bite in patches, i.e. you will have many bites in the same few inches. Bad bugs for sure. They are as bad for me as ticks.
    I'm not really sure we have chiggers up this way but we do have the dreaded deer louse which is a very strange bug that bites.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

A friend once told me that panty hose will absolutely stop chiggers and ticks from biting when out in the field. Probably before we went on a snipe hunt.

Greg
    Equipment: Whites XLT, Minelab CTX3030, Garrett Propointer.
    Oldest coin: 1760's Chinese coin
    Favorite Find: 1940's Lone Ranger Badge
    Best question asked while detecting: "Do you find anything good with that Geiger Counter"

And then the forum went totally silent.......

But on another note, this popped up on my facebook today, no idea if it works, I have not tried it but thought I would pass it along! It looks really simple and cheep.

Name:  tick spray.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  55.4 KB
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

Sounds like it may even work on mosquitoes too.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Might even smell good! dunno........have to mix sum up!
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    And then the forum went totally silent.......

But on another note, this popped up on my facebook today, no idea if it works, I have not tried it but thought I would pass it along! It looks really simple and cheep.

Name:  tick spray.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  55.4 KB
    Where do you get those oils, a healthfood store?, Or wallyworld?

Essential oils? Aren't they for adding scent to candles?
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Kasey, Best to do a Google search for Essential oils, and look for the best price! There are a lot of online sources...

Coinnut, that is one use, along with aroma therapy and of course spells and potions too!
    Tom