Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: short hunt W/ Coinnut

short hunt W/ Coinnut

Coinnut and I managed to get out for only an hour and a half yesterday . it was a very a short hunt but all we could do because of daylight running out , most our day was busy volunteering detecting for the Mashantucket Pequot Indian Museum (yet another year). My finds were two wheaties '41 and a '25 a large old button , almost half of another one , a couple of small buckles , a cattle tag and a silver religious medal.

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Nice bit of silver Dan. Can't say I ever found a cattle tag. Can't wait to se what you guys find with the museum folks this season.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

That medallion doesn't look like it is from 1830...maybe that date is commemorative? A 1930 centennial? Nice take for a short hunt..or a long one actually.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

That medallion is an extremely nice find. Looks like new
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Congrats on the silver and wheats

A cattle tag.. Now I know. I found a couple of them and had no clue what they were. Thanks

Dan, glad you got out. Also can't wait to read about your discoveries with the Pequot Indian Museum. Nice silver medallion, I noticed someone mentioned the date on it. I believe that the date of 1830 is the date of an event within the church.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Little bit of silver is always welcome
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Al is right. The church of latter day saints started April 6, 1830. So the token is a commemorative of it. Judging by finding the wheats from 1925 and 1941, the tag could​ be a centennial, however it's just commemorative which can be made any time having that date. Still all good funds but Dan, you get enough praise. Haha. (No jealousy here)

Nice finds there Mr. Dan We didn't have much time but got to pull out a couple of relics. The fort hunt was not what I expected but we will find something there. The 1830 date on your medal is an event witnessed by a novice nun, proclaiming that Mary visited her 3 times and gave her instructions to follow. It is considered a sacred date for the Catholic faith. It is referred to as the Miraculous Medal. I'll post up as soon as I clean my measly finds up a bit.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

nice hunt Dan! mango ave is wrong about the medal.It's a catholic medal not a mormon medal.they are all dated 1830 .it's the day that the virgin mary appeared.
    Catherine Labouré stated that on July 18, 1830, the eve of the feast of St. Vincent, she woke up after hearing the voice of a child calling her to the chapel, where she heard the Virgin Mary say to her, "God wishes to charge you with a mission. You will be contradicted, but do not fear; you will have the grace to do what is necessary. Tell your spiritual director all that passes within you. Times are evil in France and in the world."[3]
    On November 27, 1830, Catherine reported that the Blessed Mother returned during evening meditations. She displayed herself inside an oval frame, standing upon a globe, wearing many rings of different colors, most of which shone rays of light over the globe. Around the margin of the frame appeared the words Ô Marie, conçue sans péché, priez pour nous qui avons recours à vous("O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee").
    link below
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miraculous_Medal
    the link above shows all the info along with the design of the medal.
    Last edited by HEAVYMETALNUT; 04-06-2014 at 06:55 PM.
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

So cool about the cattle tag. I have found 4 of them in the past 4 months. When I dug the first one, I pulled it out of the hole, read it and recognized the ranch name on it. 2 minutes later, the great grandson of the rancher's name on the tag, drove by where I was digging. I flagged him down and showed him. He was the one who told me what it was, otherwise I would have been in the dark. Ironically, the number stamped on that tag was 666. I have since found 3 more, with the exact names on the tags, but with different stamped numbers. All 4 have been found in separate locations, but within 3 miles of each other.

Veteran Member
    Congrats on the finds. Safe & HH

Heavy, I did't have a big screen at the time. I use my phone, kindle, or comp and each have progressively bigger screen. As in, If I read the words around the outside and googled it that way I would have found what you did. I just put in the date for 1830, which is also a significant date for the mormons. No I am not mormon. However, there were 2 million of these made between 1832 and 1836, they were made by a goldsmith. They still make the medallions up to this date, so the assumption the date of the medallion found is closer in age to the coins he found is not inaccurate.

With the cattle, tag. I wonder when farmers started using the cattle tags versus branding. They still brand, but use different techniques and they still tag but use yellow plastic tags. Branding was around longer, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    I just put in the date for 1830, which is also a significant date for the mormons. No I am not mormon.
    your right Jim 1830 is a significant date in the Mormon faith , but being raised a Mormon myself I knew it wasn't a religious medal from that faith but thanks for your input to help sir.

ps. Jim , I'm not a very good Mormon as I only have one wife

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Nice finds there Mr. Dan We didn't have much time but got to pull out a couple of relics. The fort hunt was not what I expected but we will find something there. I'll post up as soon as I clean my measly finds up a bit.
    I agree George theres a lot of area there and a lot of trash , i believe it will be some time before we find some signs of a 1600's era Native fort activity. lets hope the items we did recover turn out to be something "period".

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Dan, glad you got out. Also can't wait to read about your discoveries with the Pequot Indian Museum. Nice silver medallion, I noticed someone mentioned the date on it. I believe that the date of 1830 is the date of an event within the church.
    thanks Al , as soon as we get a couple hunts under our belt I or George will start writing about it. the museum has a few projects going on this year. The continued retreat route of Capt. Mason and the English after the Mystic fort battle in 1637 , The continued Fort Saybrook 1636 searching and mapping , the larger Pequot 1636-37 fort in Groton and also this year there is also a Block Island survey and excavation for paleo period points and tools plus detecting for 1600's era Pequot activity and villiages. Its sounds like a busy year
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    ps. Jim , I'm not a very good Mormon as I only have one wife
    I like your comment better, but I am also sure you have a few drinks now and then too.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 04-07-2014 at 09:21 PM.

Nice medal, and buttons.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Elite Member
    Not a bad haul for only 1 1/2 hrs. Glad to see you 2 getting out
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Well, here is my haul from the short hunt. Did get a crusty copper, a flat button, a suspender buckle and the dreaded "D" buckle. Not bad, but not Earth shattering

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  48.9 KB
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

George, still better than my junk this weekend. Lol