Thread: relic hunting is not all coins and ferrous targets

relic hunting is not all coins and ferrous targets

heres a couple of pictures of some of the iron items i'm fond of finding as well as coins , almost all are hand made and would of taken alot of time to create first are various types of hand wrought iron axes , hatchets
    and wedges and in the next pictures (from left to right) is an old colonial hoe , a small adz ,
    a heavy duty mattox (for breaking up the hard ground), next is a small blacksmith hammer , the next is some kind of
    cutting blade and on bottom is some type of spike that attaches to a pole or rod .

anyone else find and keep their iron finds , would love to see ya post'em here.

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Re: relic hunting is not all coins and ferrous targets

Just finding hard evidence of how people lived in the bygone days is just plain intriguing.

Those are very cool finds Dan. I love the history and the mystique in what things might have been like for people back in that day... so that is why I am interested in more than just finding silver and gold. It's part of why I absolutely LOVE abandoned houses, especially those that still leave evidence of the last people who lived there. I love the feeling of finding something old such as what you have posted, that people used decades or even centuries ago and now I am holding it in my hand. It is a part of history that otherwise would have never been recovered.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Those are very cool finds Dan. I love the history and the mystique in what things might have been like for people back in that day... so that is why I am interested in more than just finding silver and gold. It's part of why I absolutely LOVE abandoned houses, especially those that still leave evidence of the last people who lived there. I love the feeling of finding something old such as what you have posted, that people used decades or even centuries ago and now I am holding it in my hand. It is a part of history that otherwise would have never been recovered.
    i couldn't agree more Angie , it is an amazing rush to be the first person to hold something that was lost more
    than a few centuries ago and you can't help but feel somekind of connection to that individual and wonder what kind
    of life they lived or hardships they must have endured. its a very interesting and cool time to just start detecting on a
    new site not knowing anything about the people that may have lived there and after a few hunts you can piece
    together an idea as to when they lived there . how many generations stayed at the homestead , maybe how well off
    in life they were , were any of them serving in the military or in any of the wars .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Amen... I feel honored to find and hold something that was such a part of their livelihood, for survival -like iron farming tools. The labor and hardship people faced esp in the old days, it's humbling...

I love your topic, I have quite a few that I'll share. Once I get back from MDing lol
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Hey Del, how did you sneak all them axes past your wife? rofl You must have hid them well Iron relics are just another branch of metal detecting that has a story to tell. Some of our relics are found sitting right on top of the rock walls from previous detectorists. They didn't want them. I never turn down a good hinge, axe head or fireplace tool or anything wrought iron. It took a strong person to forge some of them tools and they have survived the test of time, much better than the coins we find sometimes. Nice finds.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold