Thread: Sunday hunt gets a WW2 silver & gold sweetheart pin (word heavy)

Sunday hunt gets a WW2 silver & gold sweetheart pin (word heavy)

Hey diggers,

Sunday I decided to head about an hour north of here to hunt an old school grounds. I told Tony Two-Cent about it so he could check it out on Google Earth. He agreed the site looked very promising. I got there bright and early and almost immediately got a 10-35 signal at 9 inches deep. Sounds like an Indian head penny to me I thought. I cut my plug and dug down into the very soft soil and popped out a ZINC FREAKING PENNY! 9 inches deep! A few feet away I got a solid 10-45 at 10 inches deep and out pops a beautiful memorial penny... Next I dug a clad dime at 10 inches. This is crazy I thought. I spent 1 hour there and could not find anything older than 1970s. This was not fill dirt either. Just nice black soil. I decided it was Indiana dirt! Tony and I know all about that kind of dirt. Super soft and everything sinks too deep. Off to another site.

I was driving and noticed a small town on my GPS. Maybe one square mile in size and all the houses seemed 1890s to 1920s. As I was driving around looking to see if they had a park I noticed the street sign said "School Street." A-ha, a possible old school! I drove all 5 blocks of School Street but no school. However, at one end was a big field with an old dilapidated baseball backstop. Then I noticed the old broken up sidewalks that led out into the middle of the field. BINGO! I spent 3 hours there and of course it was apparent I wasn't the first metal detector there. A few bits of modern clad and only a couple wheat cents. Lots of nickels though! I found several deep nickels, 3 of which were toasted buffalo nickels. As I worked around an old walnut tree I got a distinct 12-38 down about 8 to 9 inches. I was hesitant but decided to dig it anyway. Out came a little silver pin with something dangling from it. I wiped the dirt off and realized I had found a WW2 sweetheart pin! The back is marked Sterling + 1/20 10K. By now it was 4:30 so I packed up and headed home. I was disappointed to not find any silver coins but a silver & gold piece of jewelry will do any day! Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

p.s. While I was hunting the park a guy kept coming out of his house and asking if I had found anything. I showed him the buffs and 6 wheaties and mentioned I had not found any silver coins. 4 times he came out to see how I was doing! (yes 4) On the 4th time he admitted he had a Whites MD and had hunted the park for years. He didn't think anything was left to be found. He asked what MD I had and I showed him my e-trac and some of the features it had.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Nice finds, might have a convert soon! I love it when folks say"it's hunted out" I love a challenge!
    Eurotek Pro, Tesoro El Dorado
    best find: 1881 $5.00 gold coin
    oldest find: 1864 Indian head penny
    garrett pro pointer

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Congrats on some nice digs, the pin is a great find, WTG.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

congrats on the buffaloes Dave , the old pin is a cool find
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Nice pin, never seen one of those before. 3 Buffalos are not bad either. Love the design of them coins way better than the Jefferson. Hunted hard?...yes, hunted out? No Way Wonder how much silver he found there.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Congrats on the buffalos. Toasted or not, they are still nice finds.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

At least after your long drive you salvaged the day. Very cool pin and a buff is a buff, toasted or not.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Very cool WWII Sweetheart pin, Dave! I've never seen one like it. It's in great shape too!

Congrats on the three Buffalo Nickels too. I've never seen nickels turn green like that. Must be something different about that soil.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Sweet finds !
    Always looking for that next ring !!

Veteran Member
    Congrats for the finds and like the buffs. Safe & HH

Nice finds the pin is very cool its the first one I've ever seen. Congrats
    Minelab Etrac sunray probe, 13" ultimate coil, Whites V3I,sunray probe,10dd,10x12 sef

I don't think I have had 4 times at once place, but almost every place I go where there is someone around they tend to ask if I found anything. Lol. Some time I should fool with them and say I found a buried pirate treasure, but I have to return 'cuz I need a truck and some one to help carry the chest.

Fantastic bunch of finds you got there

Great finds & that soil sure ate up the coins! Very nice pin too!
    Eurotek Pro, Tesoro El Dorado
    best find: 1881 $5.00 gold coin
    oldest find: 1864 Indian head penny
    garrett pro pointer