Thread: Back at here here in WI

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Back at here here in WI

Well the snow has finally melted and the ground is slowly starting to thaw in SE WI so it was time to get swinging. It was the last day of March and I decided to start my year at a site I've hunted several times in the past but never in the spring when the grass is at it lowest. To my disappointment most of the area was still frozen past the 3 inch mark. I thought I would try it for an hour and see what showed up. I dug a wheat that was not to bad and thought this might work. Then I got a nice 12-46 at 7 inches and knew I had my first silver for the year. Well after chiseling for about 10 minutes out poped a 1935 Merc. Needles to say I was not going to keep digging in the frozen ground.
    I head to a wood area of my famous picnic ground and found the ground to be much more favorable for digging. I picked up another Merc 1920-S and 5 more wheats. The other photo is brass or copper about 1.25 inches long. It looks like it was a hair piece or pin. All in all a good start for the year and was just happy to be back at for another season.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Congrats on them silvers That '20 S is in real nice shape. The last piece has me puzzled but first thought was a late 1800's lock plate cover from a pad lock. Glad you decided to move into the woods...your palms will appreciate it. I dug some ice recently and it hurts!
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Congrats on the mercs. Very nice
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

congrats on your finds i know what you mean it was a long winter glad to see you back in action dennis

Nice finds! I really like the mercs!

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Congrats on them silvers That '20 S is in real nice shape. The last piece has me puzzled but first thought was a late 1800's lock plate cover from a pad lock. Glad you decided to move into the woods...your palms will appreciate it. I dug some ice recently and it hurts!
    I'm lost. There are no pics in this thread nor on your profile, Dennis (?) Good you got out got some nice stuff. And U/George, try digging in frozen ground with those shovels having only a shaft (No horizontal handle at the end of the shaft). Not fun.

Great score on the pair of mercs and wheats

on your mercs. Frozen ground is not digger friendly.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Good job, Jeff! I'm glad you are finally able to get out there and do some digging! Hopefully your ground is completely thawed now. Congrats on the Wheaties and Mercs!

Before I even saw coinnut's post, my first thought on the brass item was that it's a swiveling key hole cover plate.

Congrats on the finds!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Good way to start the year with two mercs. I watched all of your videos on youtube. I dream of a place like your fairgrounds
    Minelab Etrac sunray probe, 13" ultimate coil, Whites V3I,sunray probe,10dd,10x12 sef

Veteran Member
    Glad to see you back out and digging. Congrats for the finds.

Nice way to start new season Jeff!
    Two Mercs and a half dozen wheats ain't too shabby!
    Congrats!
    I hope the grounds a little softer now ....for my trip up by you next week.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

nice save on the mercs and wheaties Jeff, glad to see winter is almost done in your parts. I'd say George's and Tony's thoughts about the brass piece is a good one
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album