Thread: Big Ring Help

Big Ring Help

Just got back with this... it rang up EXACTLY like a foil bottle top, the kind that come on small plastic milk and orange juice bottle, so when I first saw it in the plug I thought GOLD!!! It came out clean as can be but there is no stamp! It is silver colored like white gold. I have an acid test kit but it isn't so easy with this ring because it does not leave a good streak on the stone, though I tried another 10K white gold ring I found last year and it too does not leave a good streak. Anyway, the streak I do get with this new ring does not seem to be affected by the 14K acid solution... so I'd like tobelieve it's 14K. Any thoughts on this? How common would an unstamped gold band be? It's on the left in the second pic, on my middle finger. I wish there was a stamp so I'd know how exited to be right now!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Re: Big Ring Help

well Zman..i'm not the one that could help you with any advice due to my inexperience dealing with gold rings ..but it sure looks like white gold to me. How deep was it? and was it dulled or dingy at all when it came out of the ground? Maybe you could have a jeweler test it for you?
    Anyway,....congrats !! nice ring there bud,...even it it turns out to be less than what you hope it is

Z, does it feel heavy for it's size? If so, it may be gold or platinum. If it seem to be light for it's size, it may be titanium. If it weigh what you'd expect for it's size, perhaps stainless steel. There's also tungsten, but I don't know how the weight is on those. Either way, it'd probably be worth it to have it checked out by a jeweler.
    Garrett Ace 250 - Whites Eagle Spectrum - Whites MXT - [Modified] Whites Surf PI Pro - Minelab E-TRAC
    I have ADD!!! (Addiction to Detecting Disorder)

Could be made of nickel?

It could be platinum too.

Stainless steel would come in at the silver range, right?
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Stainless steel would come in at the silver range, right?
    I'm not sure but I think Stainless steel would almost be rejected. I would guess real low on the scale I would take a wild guess and say 8 or 10. As for the ring, I sure hope it's real. I would bet on white gold and I think there is always a chance of not being marked. Sometimes it just plain wears off. Nice find. thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Wouldn't stainless steel be attrached to a magnet?

EDIT - nevermind, I googled the question and apparently the answer is not necessarily
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

For some reason I thought stainless steel read like silver. What do I know. 8/
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

:-\ I haven't a clue
    Before all the talk about tungsten, titanium or SS I was thinking white gold
    But what do I know?
    I'd be curious to hear the out come of a jewlers test
    Either way it's not a junker and it's a great find!!
    Congrats
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Too many little scratches on it for tungsten... Hmmm I'm guessing Stainless, but hoping it's white gold for you buddy!
    CTX 3030, Garrett Propointer
    2013 Silver count: 27
    2012 Silver count: 30
    2011 Silver count: 58
    2010 Silver count: 77