Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I may have found another nice copper!

I agree Ray hope you pick up a couple more state coppers before you leave New England .

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Campbell View Post
    So cool, not many states had their own coins did they?

Otis , Massachusetts , Connecticut , New Jersey , New York , Virginia and Vermont all had minted their own coinage before the federal government .these coins were widely accepted from state to state.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Otis, the first state to issue it's own coins was Massachusetts in 1652. It was the New England silver coinage. They continued making Willow, Oak and Pine Tree shillings, 6 pence, 3 pence and 2 pence pieces up until the late 1680's. Higley made coppers in CT from 1737-1739. CT and VT issued copper coins from 1785-1788, NJ from 1786-1788 and MA from 1787-1788. MA was the first to use the word cent. There were also VA pieces dated 1773, but these were made in England as were many other circulating coppers of the time. The made counterfeit British halfpence and counterfeit NJ's just north of Newburgh NY in the late 1780's with most of the counterfeit NJ's being struck over CT's as the NJ's were worth more. There were also some pattern coinage made in NJ with the most famous being the Brashier Doubloon. There was a Brasher Doubloon found in a cellar hole in Philadephia in 1915 and they currently sell for about $4m. I know of a number of the rare pattern pieces from NY as well as a couple of Higley's coming out of the ground with metal detectors. You never know.

Some new, more detailed, pix.

So this is the best I can do with what I've got, an IPhone and an Ollo Clip attachment. If anyone can help with a coin grade, I would greatly appreciate it. If I can figure out how to use my DSLR and post those pix, I certainly will.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by kray; 04-26-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Ray they have a great amount of detail still left , I bet we will be able to attribute their varieties. good job on the cleaning

after a quick look you Vermont looks like a Ryder-2
    like this one .

the Mass cent looks like a Ryder 3-G.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by del; 04-26-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Awesome find for sure

Thanks, Dan. Iron Patch, a guy on another forum, agrees on the Vermont being a Ryder 2. He had nothing on the Mass. What's "Ryder" mean, anyways!?

Quote Originally Posted by kray View Post
    Thanks, Dan. Iron Patch, a guy on another forum, agrees on the Vermont being a Ryder 2. He had nothing on the Mass. What's "Ryder" mean, anyways!?

Ray , Iron Patch is another guy who is very proficient in colonials coinage knowledge and whom I have a lot of respect for .

Newman , Miller and Ryder were all last names of the gentlemen that first listed and attributed all the varieties of the Fugio's ,Connecticut's Vermont's and Mass. coppers. they all written books on the coin types.
    Last edited by del; 04-27-2014 at 11:55 AM.

Great stuff Ray, congrats again I am very happy you finally found some state coin and man, that Mass Copper looks so good. nice job cleaning them. They really held some nice detail.
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Very nice, congrats on the old coppers!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

That's a hot coin. Very nice
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Great Find !! Those are definitely better than the 1st set of Pics . Great going del on identifying the Variety . You should be an Attributor for CT. , CONECA is looking for a Rep.
    Last edited by Sal66; 05-29-2014 at 06:44 PM.
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now