Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Large Cents, 1/2 real, Seated Dime, 3 cent silver and more

2 Large Cents, 1/2 real, Seated Dime, 3 cent silver and more

My metal detector club had a hunt yesterday that was quite successful. Many different member found great stuff, some of what is pictured below. I was fortunate enough to find an 1826 Large Cent, 1837 No Stars Seated dime and the 1930 Standing Liberty quarter. The large cent or SLQ would have made my day by themselves, but the 1837 No Stars Seated Dime was my star of the show. The only made this type for 2 years and the total mintage was just over 1m. All "type" coins are on my bucket list and this is one I can check off. Carol found a beautiful sterling silver bracelet, Michael found his oldest coin the 1798 large cent and Charles, who recently discovered we made 3 cent pieces discovered one in the ground as well as a half real.

The hunt was held at an old apple orchard where we also had a hunt last year. A half real, large cent and a lot of old silver turned up last year so we figured lets go again. There was a large part of the orchard that hadn't been touched last year. Most of the club members went to the same area as last year. I went to what many considered was the "new section" because many of the apple trees were younger. It seems the "younger" tress were planted to replace others that died of old age. We still have a large area to cover and will probably go back next year.

If you're not in a treasure hunting club, you should consider joining one. It's great to share your finds with others who are as excited as you are yourself. You can find hunting buddies as well as participate in club activities. Our club meets in Brewster, NY which is just about an hour north of NYC and most of our member come from the lower Hudson Valley as well as eastern CT and even a couple from northern NJ. For info on our club visit http://www.greattreasure.com/ We also have common members with the Nor'easters club in CT and share hunts with them. You can find them at http://www.noreasters.net/

Name:  clubhuntfinds4-12-14.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  84.0 KB

A great assortment of finds Don! Those fish scale trimes are so thin I can believe a piece chipped off. A SLQ is still on my list. Congrats on a wonderful day.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Great hunt Don. Congratz on a great assortment of nice coins. I guess I missed this hunt as I am a member as well. I remember going to an Orchard 2 yers ago and I believe it was near old scrabble rd. Was this the same area?
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy View Post
    Great hunt Don. Congratz on a great assortment of nice coins. I guess I missed this hunt as I am a member as well. I remember going to an Orchard 2 yers ago and I believe it was near old scrabble rd. Was this the same area?
    This was a different orchard. The one you're referring to was on Hardscrabble Rd.

sweet finds Don , the hunt sounds like a great success . the no stared seated in one of my favorite coins .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks del. As someone who has collected coins since I was a kid, I know every major type and which are scarce or rare. I immediately recognized that it was a great find being a no stars type. The no stars seated dimes are far rarer than the 1853 & 1973 types with arrows (although I did find an 1853 arrows years ago). The no stars I'd really like to find is the 1796 quarter eagle.

Come on Don don't tease us with pictures we have to strain our eyes with give us the goods closeups please

Super hunt Don. The no star seated do turn up, but not very often. I think mine is a '38, but it's a half dime. Everything from Spanish silver to a Roosevelt. Nice cross section of coins. That bracelet is nice too, looks like Amber cabochons set in silver. Great looking
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Veteran Member
    Awesome finds and congrats. It's even better to have a great digging when you are with friends.

Great finds Don. I recently joined a MD Club up here and am also excited for some of the group hunts we have planned, including an 1850s home that was reportedly on the Underground Railroad. Also, awesome seated dime! My grandfather gave me a VF Seated 1840 dime that was passed down through the family when I was a kid, and it's been one of my top favorites in my collection ever since. I can only imagine your excitement when you wiped away the dirt!

BTV Digger

Elite Member
    ...wow...those are some GREAT finds..
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

"Quite successful" is an understatement! HOLY COW!

That just may be the most amazing assortment of old coins I've ever seen from one hunt!

I'm with Dan, let's see some closeup photos of those incredible finds!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

How's this? I can only give closeups of my own coins as everyone else when home with theirs. The group coin photo was taken while still at the hunt.
    Name:  finds 4-12-14 reduced.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  31.9 KB
    Name:  finds 4-12-14 dime.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  108.7 KB
    Name:  finds 4-12-14 quarter.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  102.9 KB
    Last edited by don in ny; 04-14-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Don that is sufficient for drooling purposes thanks.

great looking coins sir

Wow! There have been some great hunts of late!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Those are some very nice looking coins. Hunting with friends always makes the hunt better.. Congrats
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Thanks for those closeup photos, Don! Did you do those with a scanner? They look great, really sharp!

That 1837 seated dime is spectacular!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Thanks for those closeup photos, Don! Did you do those with a scanner? They look great, really sharp!

That 1837 seated dime is spectacular!
    Yeah, I threw them on the scanner at high res. I figured once they were cropped the files wouldn't be too big.

Wow. Congrats on the finds. Now I am wondering if there be some orchards here that were over 100 years old that might allow MD'ng around here that I can hit up.

Give me a minute, I have to wipe the drool off of my chin before it gets on my keyboard. What a great hunt and good for you for going to the "new" section of that orchard. All of us would love to dig a no stars seated dime, on you getting one. Thanks for the better pictures.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album