Thread: American Detectorist Contest Giveaway Starts NOW!!!

Hybrid View

I'm a Shriner. As many know, we are dedicated to supporting the Shriner's Hospitals for Burned and Crippled Children. I've spent many days working to raise funds to help support that cause.

Early one morning about fifteen years ago, I was on my way to a fund raising event and stopped for a quick breakfast at a local restaurant in Jacksonville, Florida. I was wearing a ball cap that simply said "Morocco Shrine" above the bill. After ordering my breakfast, I was approached by a middle-aged lady, who I later discovered was a cook in the kitchen. She apologized for interrupting me, but asked, "Are you a Shriner?"

I smiled; showed her my cap; and said, "Guilty as charged, Madam."

She began to tell me a story about her daughter who had just given birth to a child with a club-foot. Unmarried, unemployed, no insurance, living with a widowed grandmother, and a missing father to the baby. The lady cried as she relayed the details, but said she had heard rumors that Shriners might be able to help. She explained that she just didn't know what to do. I said, "Lady, you just did it."

Offering her a seat, I took some quick notes with contact information and told her that someone would be in contact with her on Monday.

A Shrine Temple is a wonderful place. We have members from every walk of life… every skill imaginable is buried in the membership. We have a special unit whose role is to check out stories like this and arrange for an initial visit to the nearest Shriner Hospital where the doctors can examine the child for admission. In this case, the nearest hospital is in Tampa. It's a crippled child center. A burned child is flown to our nearest burn center in Dallas. (Yes, we have pilots who fly our corporate jet with the child and family.) No, there is never a charge of any type; and once-admitted, we provide care and follow-on surgeries as needed until the child is eighteen. Each hospital (there are twenty-one) provides free lodging for the family while the child is undergoing care.

As the member making the initial contact, I'm considered the "sponsor". However, my role is actually finished once I've started the "wheels turning" within the organization. I passed the contact information over to the proper folks the following day.

To shorten the story… one month after this lady asked me about the Shrine, the child had her first operation in the long process of helping her walk. I don't know about such things, but there are follow-up procedures and operations as the child grows. Again, my only involvement is my name on the bottom of the initial application as the sponsoring Shriner.

This was the first child I had actually "sponsored" into the hospitals, so I naturally followed the progress for a few years (behind the scenes, so to speak). Some five years later, I happened to be in that same restaurant, and "grandma" approached me holding the hand of the cutest little girl I'd ever seen… the child, who was now walking. She introduced "Shannon", telling her that, "Here's the man who helped you walk." I cried like a baby.

That's it. However, it was one of the most gratifying experiences in my life. I've travelled a long way, and not all of the roads were paved, but I'll never forget this little detour.

"There is nothing so dear to a Shriner's heart as the little girl's prayer, "God Bless the Shrine."
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

a few months back i had a little time to kill, so i hit a fairly new park near my home. i started near the swings, all grass , with no wood chips or bark anywhere. bout the 5th swing or so i get a screaming surface sinal of a nickel, i look in the grass below the coil and see a gold band . i pick it up...14 K with the name Karen inscribed inside.

i hunted a few more minutes with just a little clad found. by then i was about 50 yards from the swings. a small car drives up, the lady literally runs to the swings area and leans over searching the grass back and forth i keep checking the lady out of the corner of my eye and see her glance my way, then do a double take. here she comes almost running lol. i'm thinking..i bet i know what she wants!

"mr does that thing find jewelry"? yes maa it sure does on occasion. ":mr does it find gold rings"?? yes maam it can . "would you please come look near the swings, as ive lost my wedding band my husband gave me a week before he passed away."

maam can you describe the ring you lost? "its a plain gold band with my name inscribed on the inside of the band"

maam ? would you mind tellign me your name? "my name is Karen of course"

maam ? you might recognize this here...as i take the ring from my shirt pocket. her face lights up with a huge smile, as she takes the ring from me. happy tears start as she slips the ring on her finger. she thanked me over and over again as she kept looking at the ring back on her finger.

dang it ya'll...i KNEW i should have left for home sooner! lol (kidding) . it was a great feeling to see the joy that woman felt when she got her ring back.

I have to say, that I don't have one great moment or day to reflect on. My life has been very boring by comparison. Getting married rather young and having two boys to raise seemed to take all the energy and spare time out of life. There has been the usual celebrations and heartaches. Loved ones have aged and have died, leaving us to hold on to their memory and honor the values they instilled in us.

I have watched the sunset from Florida in the southeast and Alaska in the northwest, where the sunrise was less than 2 hours after sunset.

I have enjoyed working with many fine people and have felt the sting of betrayal by people I thought I could trust. I have had my soul crushed and beaten but not destroyed. I have lost material things only to be reminded that they never were really that important.

I have been knocked down but like Rocky I keep getting back up.

I guess, to be honest, I think every day has been incredible in its own way. And today, is all we can count on having, so I try to make it worth it.

I thank God for all I have today.
    Ace 250 w/Sunray Probe
    More than paid for with clad!

probably the most significant event in my life was an accident that occurred on New Years Day 2003. I had built a roof over our porch the previous summer, and thought it developed an ice back up so i went on the roof to look for a leak-long story short I fell off my roof, and after 13 surgeries and 2 years of he double hockey sticks had my left leg amputated below the knee.....with out turning this into a sob story, because it isn't I have to say that event changed my life, made me realize how much i had to live for, kids, wife, job, etc. I have to say I honestly believe I am a better person because of this incident.......now, there is a down side-I really have to keep the coil stretched a little further out than most as it tends to "false" on my prosthetic (at least its a mid tone-hehehe)......I guess the other down side is my siblings have some fun at my expense from time to time such as sending me ginger bread cookies with 1 leg "missing", or home-made metal shields for my leg to wear when I go detecting.........I learned to have fun with it!
    Life's to short to be miserable!
    Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F4

Quote Originally Posted by slvrsrchr View Post
    probably the most significant event in my life was an accident that occurred on New Years Day 2003. I had built a roof over our porch the previous summer, and thought it developed an ice back up so i went on the roof to look for a leak-long story short I fell off my roof, and after 13 surgeries and 2 years of he double hockey sticks had my left leg amputated below the knee.....with out turning this into a sob story, because it isn't I have to say that event changed my life, made me realize how much i had to live for, kids, wife, job, etc. I have to say I honestly believe I am a better person because of this incident.......now, there is a down side-I really have to keep the coil stretched a little further out than most as it tends to "false" on my prosthetic (at least its a mid tone-hehehe)......I guess the other down side is my siblings have some fun at my expense from time to time such as sending me ginger bread cookies with 1 leg "missing", or home-made metal shields for my leg to wear when I go detecting.........I learned to have fun with it!
    Life's to short to be miserable!
    Amen Brother!
    Minelab CTX 3030
    Minelab Excalibur II
    Minelab GoFind 60
    Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
    Garrett AT ProPointer
    Garrett Recovery Tool
    Stealth 720i Sand Scoop
    Vibra-Quatic 2 Pinpointer
    Land and Sea Pinpointer
    Lesche Digging Tool
    Lesche 40" Shovel
    Lesche Piranha Shovel
    2007 Jeep JK to get me to where the treasure is!

My Youtube Channel! American Digger in Europe:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/AmericanDiggerInEurope

i think mine was winning the north Atlantic butcher of the year contest last year , i was so nervous before the start i could not even sharpen my knife.....it keeped going one side of the steel but no mater how hard i tried it would not go the other side .
    here is a picture of me playing the fool to the crowd once the nerves subsided
    Name:  Lee Best Butcher Comp.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  67.3 KB

Thanks for the contest! A big deal in my life right now involves my oldest son. He will graduate from high school in three weeks, and he just found out that he was an E. Powers Biggs Fellowship winner for 2014, for the Organ Historical Society.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token