Thread: Evapo-Rust vs Apple Cider Vinegar

Evapo-Rust vs Apple Cider Vinegar

A few days ago I decided to do an experiment to see what worked better for rust removal - Evapo-Rust or apple cider vinegar. A month ago or so I recovered an old gate hinge that was equally rusted on both ends. I filled one soup can with the Evapo-Rust and the other with the apple cider vinegar. Then I placed one end of the hinge in each can and left it for 3 days. I pulled it out, gave each side 5 strokes with a metal brush and rinsed.

I was surprised that the AC vinegar appears to have worked better. In the photo, the Evapo-rust side is on the left, vinegar on the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

That apple cider vinegar works really good, I've used it on certain things. I prefer electrolysis though the the vinegar acid can eventually eat right into the metal. I usually do electrolysis cause I can keep a close eye on the progress.

very nice side by side comparison Skamaniac thanks
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Very scientific, thanks for sharing the results!
    Always good information to know.
    Too bad I cannot stand the smell of vinegar.
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

Last year my brother was razzing me about all the different methods that I had for cleaning my finds, soon after I held a glob of rust in front of him, he said whats that crap, I said it's a knife and I am going to show you what apple cider vinegar can do.

Name:  knife.jpg
Views: 4673
Size:  60.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by giant056 View Post
    That apple cider vinegar works really good, I've used it on certain things. I prefer electrolysis though the the vinegar acid can eventually eat right into the metal. I usually do electrolysis cause I can keep a close eye on the progress.
    I have an electrolysis setup also, but I have to get a new power source for it. I'm looking for an old-school battery charger without all the electronic safety features.

Here's the last thing that I did electrolysis on. I used a 10amp battery charger on this with baking soda and water for electrolyte.

Name:  beforeafter.jpg
Views: 4168
Size:  65.3 KB

I have to get a new power source for it. I'm looking for an old-school battery charger without all the electronic safety features?????

Good post . Personally I use apple cider vinegar . It works , it is cheap, and it is simple; and doesn't involve a fancy set up, electricity or a battery. Down side is it smells so my set up is an outside garage. I let the item soak for a few days then wire brush it , let it soak more if need be wire brush it again and then dry the object and spray it with clear lacquer. I'll put the results up against electrolysis any day.

Can we see some of your best results Gaspipe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by alfredalfred View Post
    I have to get a new power source for it. I'm looking for an old-school battery charger without all the electronic safety features?????
    The new charger I have senses something isn't right and automatically shuts off, like a GFI on on an outlet does. The old chargers just let the power go through no matter what. With the newer charger I have to connect it to a battery in need of charging and then attach the electrolysis to the the battery.

Hi My Fellow TH'er
    Congrats on the find and it appears to have cleaned up reasonably well. That looks like a Military issue knife that was used in Vietnam. As I recall they were referred to as a 'TL-29'. I sure wished that I had kept the ones that my late Dad brought back from Vietnam as he had a local change out the plastic handle pieces with nice Mahogany wood. I get up to Jackson, Michigan once a year to visit relatives and do a little TH'ing in the local parks. The soil is so much easier to dig there compared to the clay/rock of Northern Virginia. It is nice here in Wilmington, NC lots of sand. Congrats again!
    Dave
    'Digger-Dave'
    THing4CSA
    PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

Oldest US Copper coin: 1798 Large Cent
    Oldest US Silver Coin: 1835 Bust Half Dime
    Oldest US Gold Coin: 1854 One Dollar, Type I
    Oldest Coin: Dateless Roman copper about the size of a US Half Dollar
    Best Relic find: US Civil War Belt Buckles (2)