Thread: Spanish Silver And Large Coppers

Spanish Silver And Large Coppers

Thunderstorms rolled in this afternoon, but I was able to get in some detecting at an old park for a few hours before and after the showers. Thirty minutes into the hunt, and just as the sky was beginning to darken, I dug up an old flat button and a 1733 Spanish Reale.

The rain was still holding off, but it was thundering, so I returned to my car to wait it out a bit. I didn't want to get zapped. After waiting a short while I picked up from where I had left off and dug up several old wheat cents, another old button, an 1890 Indian Head cent, two Buffalo nickels and a wartime nickel - then it began to pour. I hurried back to my car and again waited until it was over. Now back at the field I detected for a short while longer and dug up a few more old wheat cents and two coppers, an 1838 large cent, and what I think is a 1773 George III farthing.

There are fourteen wheat cents in the pile. The Buffalo nickels are in poor shape but they still do make for fun finds.

HH!

Re: Spanish Silver And Large Coppers

What a terrible hunt Spanish silver and 2 coppers Nice job on the oldies this time. That rain and thunder was nothing to mess with. I wonder if the electricity in the air charges things up a bit? Nice hunt and I see you are still trying for the elusive gold? What size is the British, the size of the large cents or the size of a quarter? If it's the size of the large cents, then it's a half penny.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    What a terrible hunt Spanish silver and 2 coppers Nice job on the oldies this time. That rain and thunder was nothing to mess with. I wonder if the electricity in the air charges things up a bit?
    Oh, it changed things up a bit alright. I was on the meadow when the first thunder rang out and while I was holding my Sampson T Handle steel shovel. I'm sure I set some sort of record running to my car.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Nice hunt and I see you are still trying for the elusive gold? What size is the British, the size of the large cents or the size of a quarter? If it's the size of the large cents, then it's a half penny.
    The British copper is just slightly smaller than the large cent in diameter, but larger than a quarter. It is a half penny. Thanks!

wow , some great looking coins Angel and very old silver

Yea!! nice finds. The large cent and the Farthing looks in very good shape. What's the denomination for the farthing compared to our coinage? I forget. It's smaller than a regular KG copper? well, anyway that would be equal to many trips out for me. Nice going.Ohh wow you said old park. Must have been very hidden. All the old parks I know of in CT. don't have coins like that.
    " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

just amazing!
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

very nice angel! how many coppers now this year? dan & G is this coin finding machine(Angel) in the copper race?

Quote Originally Posted by sjv View Post
    Yea!! nice finds. The large cent and the Farthing looks in very good shape. What's the denomination for the farthing compared to our coinage? I forget. It's smaller than a regular KG copper? well, anyway that would be equal to many trips out for me. Nice going.Ohh wow you said old park. Must have been very hidden. All the old parks I know of in CT. don't have coins like that.
    I haven't cleaned the British coin, but based on size, as George indicated, it is a half penny. It's amazing what can still be found at the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    very nice angel! how many coppers now this year? dan & G is this coin finding machine(Angel) in the copper race?
    If I include the two Canadian half pennies and the 1866 Italian 10 Centesimi, I think the count is 22. No, I'm not in the copper race.

Another stunner Angel !!
    The coopers would've had me on cloud nine.....a Reale....probably would've givin' me heart failure
    Congrats

Wow very cool OLD finds Angel.... And I'm all excited about my 40's and 50's goodies Do we have an envy smiley yet? Oh yeah here it is

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    Wow very cool OLD finds Angel.... And I'm all excited about my 40's and 50's goodies Do we have an envy smiley yet? Oh yeah here it is
    Man , that Angel finds good , old stuff every day , I can't even find a spot with silver Roosies left in it !!
    I TELL YOU IVE BEEN STEPPED OVER ................
    How's that for envious Tana ? Nice going as always Angel

Baba
    ( Keep scrolling down for the attachment )
    Attached Images Attached Images  

yeah angel I think u should hang it up. the stuff u find is just so DATED! Amazing Hunt. Again, I wish i was as good at my business as u r at MD ing!

Only one silver? You must've had an off day. Is the E-trac ok?
    From The Pacific Northwest to Orange County...
    White's XLT, Ace 250 - 2010 YTD $4.28

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
    yeah angel I think u should hang it up. the stuff u find is just so DATED! Amazing Hunt. Again, I wish i was as good at my business as u r at MD ing!
    Thanks, Aaron.

Quote Originally Posted by Stang1968 View Post
    Only one silver? You must've had an off day. Is the E-trac ok?
    The park I have been working during the last few hunts is a well known one so it has been detected well over the years, but there are still coins to be found. Just not as many as other parks have yielded. What excites me about this particular park is that it has consistently yielded much older coins, even if few.

Candidate Member

Man, those are some great finds for sure. Nice hunting there. WOLF
    Diggin to china! Oldest coin 1891 IH.