Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beautiful 1859-O Seated Dime

Beautiful 1859-O Seated Dime

Saturday, May 17, 2014:

Yesterday I met up with a father and son that I had met through YouTube. Tom and Neil are great guys and it was a pleasure meeting them finally. They live in the Peoria, IL area and we agreed to meet up for some detecting. We picked a few small town parks in central Illinois to hunt. After finding only a few clad coins at the first park we decided to try the older town square park in the same town. At this park I found a Shield Nickel in the very first hole I dug. Hard to read the date but it might be 1869. We tried an old school yard and another park after that, and we all got lots more clad and I got a couple of wheaties. It was a pleasure hunting with Tom and Neil and I'm sure that we'll get together again.

Sunday, May 18, 2014:

Last night I got a call from zrickkid and he was going to be in central Illinois today so we decided to meet up for some metal detecting. We met at a small town park that was about halfway between our two locations. At this first park I found 2 Mercury Dimes and 2 silver Washington Quarters pretty quickly in one small area, but then the finds seemed to dry up.

After about 3 hours at this park we decided to move on to the next small town. To be honest, I was about to give up on this park because I had found only 1 wheat cent in about 45 minutes. But then I got an iffy 12-46 signal that was about 6" deep near the old bandstand. I cut a pretty deep plug and when I flipped it over there was a silver dime visible in the bottom of the plug. I could see stars on the obverse so I knew it was an oldie! I went back to my car and and got my cup of leftover diet Coke from McDonalds. Ricky shot video of me washing the coin off with Diet Coke. It was a really nice 1859-O Seated Dime! I couldn't believe it! Only 480,000 minted, it might be the lowest mintage coin I've ever found.

After that I found another Merc and then a Rosie at the last park we hunted. It was a pleasure meeting zrickkid and it's always nice to hunt with another forum member. He's a very nice guy and I hope to hunt with him again someday.

Here are all of the coins from this weekend:
    Name:  Pile-0518_zpsbf0afbd5.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  121.2 KB

Here are the keepers before cleaning:
    Name:  Keppers-Dirty_zps4493258b.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  64.4 KB

Seven silvers today:
    Name:  Silvers_zpsead4ed15.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  128.1 KB

Here is the Shield Nickel I found yesterday:
    Name:  Shield-Obv_zps88d091f9.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  87.6 KBName:  Shield-Rev_zpsa8edb764.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  74.9 KB

And my best find of the weekend:
    Name:  Seated-Obv_zps8152895d.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  81.9 KBName:  Seated-Rev_zpse95d1608.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  94.1 KB

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 02-06-2018 at 05:37 PM.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

OMG Tony! That dime is INCREDIBLE! Congrats on all the oldies and silvers. Back then, that dime probably came up the Mississippi River on a barge. Wouldn't you love to know the story of how it came to be in that park? Again, congrats and Best Wishes, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Veteran Member
    congrats!!! Awesome finds!!!!

What a weekend! Love that 1859 dime!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

after the 1877 indian i thought you had a find of a lifetime i guess you arent done yet congrats on your finds dennis

Awesome pile of silver Tony!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

It's great when you can hunt with friends, it's eve better with results like like yours.
    Congrats on that great looking Dime.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Veteran Member
    Tony it was a pleasure to hunt with you even if I did get skunked. Oh well I will try to load the video tomorrow. Pleasure meeting you for the first of what I am sure will be many more fun hunts in the future.

Tony, that dime is a beauty From the photos it looks like full liberty. Congratulations!!!!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    OMG Tony! That dime is INCREDIBLE! Congrats on all the oldies and silvers. Back then, that dime probably came up the Mississippi River on a barge. Wouldn't you love to know the story of how it came to be in that park? Again, congrats and Best Wishes, Dave.
    Thanks, Dave! I think it's the best US silver coin I've ever found. I had previously found an 1857 seated dime but it was extremely worn and didn't have a mint mark. This one is much nicer. Yes, I would love to know the story of how it came to be in that park.

Quote Originally Posted by Timewarpdigger View Post
    congrats!!! Awesome finds!!!!
    Thanks! It was a beautiful day weather-wise as well. Sunny and 68 degrees with very little wind. Perfect metal detecting weather!

Quote Originally Posted by Skamaniac View Post
    What a weekend! Love that 1859 dime!
    Thanks! I was glad to get some silvers after having a "silverless" Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by POKIE73 View Post
    after the 1877 indian i thought you had a find of a lifetime i guess you arent done yet congrats on your finds dennis
    Thanks, Dennis! It's finds like this that keep us going. It's good to know that there are still some great coins out there just waiting to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    Awesome pile of silver Tony!
    Thanks! I still can't catch up with DaddyDigger on silver count though!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    It's great when you can hunt with friends, it's even better with results like yours.
    Congrats on that great looking Dime.
    Thanks, Don! You and Alec are doing really well lately too! You guys have now found more Barber Halves this year than I've found in my entire life!

Quote Originally Posted by zrickkid View Post
    Tony it was a pleasure to hunt with you even if I did get skunked. Oh well I will try to load the video tomorrow. Pleasure meeting you for the first of what I am sure will be many more fun hunts in the future.
    I'm really glad that we were able to hunt together, Ricky. We will definitely have to do it again. Thanks for shooting the video of me with the dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Tony, that dime is a beauty From the photos it looks like full liberty. Congratulations!!!!
    Thanks, Angie! It's one of my favorite finds in recent memory. It looks to be in VF to EF condition. And I didn't scratch it!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

what a super coin Tony , its definitely finds like this that keep us interested in the hobby . Mega-congrats

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Wow! nice dime Tony Congrats! Great hunts this weekend!

Elite Member
    What a nice stack of coins. great hunts. Congrats Wisconsin Digger
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 1 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 1 War Nickels - 1 Indian - 14 Wheats - $ 5.71 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Totally awesome bunch of finds you got Tony

Tony, once again your post does not disappoint. That seated dime is a real beauty and I'll be looking for that video. on all your keepers.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    what a super coin Tony , its definitely finds like this that keep us interested in the hobby . Mega-congrats

Dan
    Thanks, Dan! It was nice meeting zrickkid and I'm glad that I was finally able to hunt with him. We had a very enjoyable day.

Quote Originally Posted by chief5709 View Post
    Wow! nice dime Tony Congrats! Great hunts this weekend!
    Thanks, Chief! Without a doubt it is the nicest dime I've ever found. It definitely put a big smile on my face!

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    What a nice stack of coins. great hunts. Congrats Wisconsin Digger
    Thanks! The stack of coins is mostly clad but I put the good stuff on top of the pile for the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by giant056 View Post
    Totally awesome bunch of finds you got Tony
    Thanks, Larry! It was encouraging to discover that there are still great old coins like that dime in public parks around here.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Tony, once again your post does not disappoint. That seated dime is a real beauty and I'll be looking for that video.
    Thanks, Al! I just uploaded the video this morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55_2jsshpa4
    Lifetime totals:

Wow what a haul of nice finds Tony! I like them all! But that dime....
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    Wow what a haul of nice finds Tony! I like them all! But that dime....

Thanks, Tony! It's almost as old as some of the great coins you find there in Ohio!
    Lifetime totals:

Veteran Member
    Tony I will try to post the video tonight as I will finally have some time.
    Ricky

Beautiful New Orleans mint dime. Nice catch Tony!
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold