Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sat, & Memorial day hunts*great variety of finds* PICTURE HEAVY

Sat, & Memorial day hunts*great variety of finds* PICTURE HEAVY

Saturday got out with Dave to some cellar holes that Dave had hit with a few guys in the past. Lot's of hiking but manages to squeak out an 1876 CC seated dime on the lip of a trashy cellar along with my 1st shield nickel. On the final cellar hole I nabbed a very interesting patriotic eagle button looking piece. Don't think it's an actual military button due to the hooked shank on the back. maybe some one knows what it is.

Memorial day was a hunt to remember. With permission to hunt on private woods we felt good about going to this site. Seems that Dave got all the large coins and I got all the small ones. I pocketed a nice variety of coins that included two more seated dimes that were a few inches away from an Indian head coin spill that had 3 injuns in one hole. I think all 5 coins were from the same spill. Not far from this area in one of the fields I also scored a wiped out Draped Bust copper.

Around the cellar hole I discovered my most interesting finds of the day. A two cent piece, a beautiful womens locket or pocket watch still with some gold plate or gilt on it and then my favorite find being a store token that replicates a $5 dollar gold coin. The token reads "Macne Tic Powder & Pills, For Insects & Rats" and on the obverse side it reads "424 Broadway NewYork". I believe it to be a mid 1800's store token. Also got a great assortment of cloak buttons that seem to be 1700's style along with one half of a set of cufflink.
    Attached Images Attached Images                                    
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

awesome coins and relics Todd! great variety of stuff we dug.you should post a picture of the back of the eagle button thing as I believe it's some sort of patriotic leather/wood tack rather than a button.this would help identify it better
    Last edited by HEAVYMETALNUT; 05-30-2014 at 06:48 AM.
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    awesome coins and relics Todd! great variety of stuff we dug.you should post a picture of the back of the eagle button thing as I believe it's some sort of patriotic push tack rather than a button.this would help identify it better
    I forgot to post that. Thanks for reminding me Dave.

can ya make out whats on her headband on the token? not liberty thats for sure
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

in her head band is Company name E.Lyon.below is photo of obverse and the mintage years for merchant tokens
    Last edited by HEAVYMETALNUT; 05-29-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

Wow!!!!!!! what a fantastic haul of relics and old coins you got there that's a super pic of the toad, very nice photo. Ole Toadman would be proud of that pic

incredible weekend of detecting Todd talk about some quality finds.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

wow all those dimes are cc! larry i wonder how toadmans doing?

What a haul! Fantastic weekend!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Great bunch of digs Todd. What an assortment of nice finds! Looks like nothing escaped your coil.....even amphibians
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

WoW, well worth the hiking! Great finds Todd! you and Dave are killing those cellar holes. Congrats!

The eagle button, or whatever it is, is very interesting. The stars kind of remind me of some of the NY militia items I've read about. I wonder if the 16 stars is relevant or just how many fit in the circle. Great find.

This is one of the most amazing hunts I've ever seen!

Three CC dimes? Holy cow! What are the dates on the Indian Heads? Are they from the 1870s as well? I can tell by the weakly struck "N" on the reverse that at least one of them is an older Indian Head.

And look at that gorgeous Two Cent Piece! And the awesome tokens! And the buttons! And the watch case!

You are really having incredible success, Todd! Congrats!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

p.s. The last digit on the Draped Bust is clearly an "8" so it has to be 1798.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    This is one of the most amazing hunts I've ever seen!

Three CC dimes? Holy cow! What are the dates on the Indian Heads? Are they from the 1870s as well? I can tell by the weakly struck "N" on the reverse that at least one of them is an older Indian Head.

And look at that gorgeous Two Cent Piece! And the awesome tokens! And the buttons! And the watch case!

You are really having incredible success, Todd! Congrats!
    Thanks for the props Tony, it pays to go slow amongst the trash and iron. The Indians are 1867,1875 and no date on the third. They are all complete toast.

Quote Originally Posted by chief5709 View Post
    WoW, well worth the hiking! Great finds Todd! you and Dave are killing those cellar holes. Congrats!

The eagle button, or whatever it is, is very interesting. The stars kind of remind me of some of the NY militia items I've read about. I wonder if the 16 stars is relevant or just how many fit in the circle. Great find.
    I a interested also in finding out the eagle thing is also

Dang Todd. You killed it! Awesome, just awesome!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    incredible weekend of detecting Todd talk about some quality finds.
    Thanks Dan. What do you make of the watch/locket and eagle button looking piece. Btw, did you get out???

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    can ya make out whats on her headband on the token? not liberty thats for sure
    E Lyon and thanks for finding that info

Wow what a fine collection of stuff! I really like that token!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album