Thread: going to Kearneysville, WV

going to Kearneysville, WV

I'm new to the hobby and would really appreciate anyone who could take the time to contact me with any knowledge of the Kearneysville, WV area. I'm going down there to spend the week of the 9th and would like to venture out and metal detect. I've heard a lot of horror stories about people getting into trouble and pissing people off, creating a bad image for the hobby. I don't want to do that! Anyway, your time would be appreciated. Best Regards, Jim

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Welcome to the hobby and the forum. I'm not familiar with the area you are visiting so I would start with checking the local and state ordinances/laws in regards to detecting on public land. If you have time, check out the local historical society for possible leads. If you do find privately owned areas you would like to hunt, make sure you check with the owner before you step foot on the property. Good luck and have fun.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I'll take your advice. I'm expecting a slow start, but will end up succeeding, I'm sure. The area is rich in history. The hobby is great, just what I need.

All the best,
    Jim

Welcome to the forum from Kalamazoo

Hello and Welcome to the forum from John in NJ.
    Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3

Welcome from Ky! There are great sources for finding old sites online. Google earth overlays, www.historicmapworks.com and www.historicaerials.com are a few. Happy hunting!
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Hello and welcome to the forum Jdexlta , hope you have a good time in WV and make some nice finds,

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album