Thread: the coolest thing ever

the coolest thing ever

on Tuesday i got out for a hunt with chrisinct , we headed to an historic district that we have had some great luck at before.
    we started at an abandoned house from 1774 hoping for some old coins but after an hour in the blistering heat we began to realize it had been hit long before we got there , i managed to sqeek a wheat and a 1943 war nickle out before i got a nice hit at 5 inches.
    digging down i could see what at first glance looked like the edge of a copper but as i pulled it out i could see it was a massive ornate button with silver plating on it , im thinking early 1800s ?.
    after that the signals dried up so we headed 5 houses down to a house owned by a bloke called mark who we had met a few months ago while detecting a park by the side of his house , we have had large cents,seated dimes,buttons and old temperance tokens from his yard and have covered it quite well but we decided to hit it for an hour anyway.
    10 mins in i get a signal at 5 inches , bit jumpy but worth a dig anyway.
    flipping the dirt out i saw what i thought was the edge of a copper again but no, it turns out to be a commemorative token and this is where it starts getting really cool the words on it read 2nd of july 1910 charles k Hamilton aviation day new Britain conn and a picture of a old flying machine in the middle .
    after some work on the interweb i found this.
    The first reliably documented heavier-than-air flights in Connecticut were not made until 1910. Charles Hamilton, already a national celebrity as a member of the Curtis Exhibition Flying Team, made the first flight of a heavier-than-air craft in New England over his hometown of New Britain as part of an Aviation Day celebration held at Walnut Hill Park on July 2, 1910.

im thinking it was handed out to the people watching the historic event as a memento.
    anyway here is a few pictures along with a stunning walker i found last night while detecting with kris another detectorist (what is it with me and mates called chris ?)

Last edited by lee; 06-05-2014 at 08:07 AM.

Some tokens a just really cool and the one you got falls into that category. on all your keepers.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I love the token and the walker! Pictures are a little blurry though. Lee, have you got a macro setting on your camera?

Awesome Token! Sad that some of those old commemorative days have been lost to history.

Here is an old lost one in CT: https://archive.org/details/historyofbattlef00hart
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Once again Lee awesome token and very rare considering an image of one can not be found on the web.

Terrific walker.

Veteran Member
    Great finds congrats. Safe & HH

Quote Originally Posted by freemindstuck View Post
    I love the token and the walker! Pictures are a little blurry though. Lee, have you got a macro setting on your camera?
    i have and i thought i had it on ?, im not good with technology ....im gona try and learn how to use the phone next week lol.
    ill have another bash at it tomorrow and see if it comes out better mate.

Very cool finds and a big congrats on the token

Awesome token and story!!! Congrats on such a wonderful site Can I join ya'll sometime?

Thanks, Chris
    just kidding
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Congrats on the awesome token, as well as the Walking Liberty Half, Lee!

I would think that collectors would be very interested in that token.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That is a cool token. Here's one on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-AVIA...item58b08b9288
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Ah . come on Lee !! that picture of that commemorative pin doesn't do it any justice , can you give us a better closeup ??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Those are some great finds.
    Hunt hard & Hunt safe!!!
    Robbie, Hamilton,Il
    Minelab E-Trac, Whites TRX Pin-Pointer
    Sun Ray Pro-Gold Headphones, Lesche
    RNB Innovations Battery