Thread: the coolest thing ever

Threaded View

the coolest thing ever

on Tuesday i got out for a hunt with chrisinct , we headed to an historic district that we have had some great luck at before.
    we started at an abandoned house from 1774 hoping for some old coins but after an hour in the blistering heat we began to realize it had been hit long before we got there , i managed to sqeek a wheat and a 1943 war nickle out before i got a nice hit at 5 inches.
    digging down i could see what at first glance looked like the edge of a copper but as i pulled it out i could see it was a massive ornate button with silver plating on it , im thinking early 1800s ?.
    after that the signals dried up so we headed 5 houses down to a house owned by a bloke called mark who we had met a few months ago while detecting a park by the side of his house , we have had large cents,seated dimes,buttons and old temperance tokens from his yard and have covered it quite well but we decided to hit it for an hour anyway.
    10 mins in i get a signal at 5 inches , bit jumpy but worth a dig anyway.
    flipping the dirt out i saw what i thought was the edge of a copper again but no, it turns out to be a commemorative token and this is where it starts getting really cool the words on it read 2nd of july 1910 charles k Hamilton aviation day new Britain conn and a picture of a old flying machine in the middle .
    after some work on the interweb i found this.
    The first reliably documented heavier-than-air flights in Connecticut were not made until 1910. Charles Hamilton, already a national celebrity as a member of the Curtis Exhibition Flying Team, made the first flight of a heavier-than-air craft in New England over his hometown of New Britain as part of an Aviation Day celebration held at Walnut Hill Park on July 2, 1910.

im thinking it was handed out to the people watching the historic event as a memento.
    anyway here is a few pictures along with a stunning walker i found last night while detecting with kris another detectorist (what is it with me and mates called chris ?)

Last edited by lee; 06-05-2014 at 08:07 AM.