Thread: Just for the fun of it, i made an Eisenhower clad dollar ring

Just for the fun of it, i made an Eisenhower clad dollar ring

just to see how it would turn out, and if i ended up a train wreck ...no big deal lol.

i think it came out ok, and since the pics were taken i have cleaned the edges up a little more, and lightened the toning with some fine steel wool.

dont hesitate to tell me what you think....good or bad lol. i'm a big boy and i can take it!!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Looks pretty good. I've always wanted to make one. Maybe a fall project for me...
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

I thnk it liiks great! Ya done good!!
    I live my life one target at a time
    since '68

I remember talking with you in a chatroom a few months back and I mentioned using a silver round, I think you replied it would be too big, well it depends how big of a person is wearing it too but I really like the Ike dollar one which is a little smaller than what a silver round would be. Right now silver is really low and I'm sure that you've been thinking about that too, you do a really killer job on them rings for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by giant056 View Post
    I remember talking with you in a chatroom a few months back and I mentioned using a silver round, I think you replied it would be too big, well it depends how big of a person is wearing it too but I really like the Ike dollar one which is a little smaller than what a silver round would be. Right now silver is really low and I'm sure that you've been thinking about that too, you do a really killer job on them rings for sure.
    thanks for the comment Giant. i appreciate it . And i gotta tell you, the Ike ring , like a morgan. is a HUGE ring lol. i wear mine without discomfort, but to wear it constantly would take some getting used to.

a silver round as a ring, well you will need a hand big enough to palm a basketball lol. wow what a large ring that would make! but i would be willing to try it . just for giggles and grins!

on 2nd thought...the clad ike was tough to fold down the mandrel. i was a half inch lower than the largest size marking on the mandrel when the ike finished the fold down. i almost ran out of mandrel! lol that is amazing to me. but silver folds easier, so it wouldnt be a problem making one. just wearing it!

Henry
    So ... What size did it turn out to be?
    LIVE FREE OR DIE

Quote Originally Posted by Moresound View Post
    So ... What size did it turn out to be?
    it was over a size 15, then i used my press and mashed it into a size 13, the size i wear on my right hand. the fat tire shape is a result of using the press. i could probably lower the ring size to around a 11 1/2 or a 12. any smaller and the 2 edges would almost meet in the middle lol.

thanks for all the comment everyone! i appreciate it bigtime

Veteran Member
    Pretty cool nice job. Safe & HH

Real nice job. You must be very patient to do those
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Real nice job. You must be very patient to do those
    thanks coinnut! it takes a while to get the coin folded down on the mandrel, being mostly copper. its tougher than silver i can tell ya lol.

patience is a must, because you have to fold it all the way around evenly, or the rim of the ring will have wavy areas..or bobbles as i call them.

It didn't look like an easy ring to make and after reading the posts and replies I guess I was right . It came out very nice though .well done
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I think it looks great!

What causes the dark toning? Do you have to heat the metal to form it?
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I wanna try this sometime. I wonder if a nickel would be the right size to make something like a pinky ring, lol. Maybe a sacagawea would be thick enough to make a slightly bigger size ring than a quarter would make. But I'm sure the metal would be harder to fold. And I have to get a mandrel to try. At least u didnt use the technique of using a spoon as it says online it takes a year to make that way.

thanks Del! its fairly difficult to form it being thick copper. but all in all i'm happy with it . thanks for the comment!

Tony thanks for the complimentand comment! The dark toning is caused by annealing (heating) the coin until it glows dull orange. that softens the metal and makes it a little easier to work it . during the making process, i probably anneal the ring 6 to 9 times, depending on thickness, toughness, etc.

after forming the ring and cleaning up the edges, etc..on the clad rings i just take fine steel wool and buff the dickens out of it. that gives it the burnished look while highlighting the lettering and numbers. but some people prefer the ring all shiny and nice, so a simple minute or 2 with a dremel and a polishing bit , and final cleanup with a polishing rag leaves it shiny, bright and purdy :D

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    An artist amoungst the other abilities. Nice job!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!