Thread: 1'st trip in the woods, and with a couple of the CT crew.

1'st trip in the woods, and with a couple of the CT crew.

Couldn't have asked for a nicer day for it either.

Thank you del (Dan) and OxShoeDrew for the invite. What better way to welcome someone new to the hobby.
    I was surprised to get in the car and see it was 3:45 when Dan and I finally left. I could have poked around for another hour or so and not known it was getting late. Drew is a picking machine. He had a nice pile of finds when I wandered by him after a couple hours or so. That was a nice buckle.
    It's a learning experience for a guy who just picked up a detector 4 weeks ago and maybe 10 hours of prior fiddling in parks and 40 year old yards. What to dig and not to?

Wound up with a bunch of crunk out of curiosity mostly, shallow and deep. Best hits on the detector was a 1" square nut and my 1'st musket ball. Also found most of a buckle. Wanted the missing piece, but it was was already in a noisy area. Don't know what that other piece is. Looks like something you'd hammer into a post or beam as hook/hangar?

Name:  Finds-6.21.14.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  99.1 KB
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 06-22-2014 at 07:37 PM.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

I'm surprised at the speed time goes when I'm out as well. Wish time at work went as fast!
    Finding a musket ball must have been awesome! Glad you were able to get out.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Good hunt you had there time sure does go fast when you're having fun

Very cool. Yeah, I have to admit that thems CT boys is alright
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Time does fly with good company and fun
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Congrats on the musket ball! Those old iron buckles sound like coins. I used to run the 350 in all-metal and watch the cursor. If you max the sens it falsed quite a bit over iron. It took me a while to have the restraint to back off the sens but the tiny depth (if any) you lose is more than made up for by time not digging nails etc. We'll have to get back at it in a few weeks.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Veteran Member
    Congrats for the finds and the great day with digging friends. Safe & HH

Can't ask for two better guys to hunt with. You will learn quite a lot hunting with them. Gratz on your finds. Persistence and becoming one with your machine will go a long way.
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

It is always nice when the experienced guys take out the rookie to help them learn. That is one of the nicest about this hobby I have been on both sides of that scenario. Hunting with those guys is sort of like a ball player's first time at bat in the major leagues!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Thanks for the advice Drew. I did read or saw in a vid somewhere early on that running it wide open it would do that, but still guilty of turning it up a notch higher than usual anyways hoping for delusions of grandeur. I suppose that's fine when you get out in the quiet areas of those fields. Lesson learned.

And yeah Bell, someone from the fishing site I've been on for ages said something similar. It's like joining up and having the guys from Deadliest Catch invite you out!
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Keep the coil to the soil & the finds will come. Nice job on the musket ball. I've yet to find one. You are certainly right about time flying by while detecting.

Guess you did get out this weekend. I did Friday night, but Saturday morning and Sunday morning I never did. I ended up doing work at home. Ugh... can't put off the to-do's too long. Drew moves quick. Idk how many times I catch up to him, 5 min later I can't see him. Congrats on the musket ball. Kev, don't worry. You will find one. Mine were found in a field, and it seems the majority are found in the fields near old houses.

Brian you did pretty well considering the areas were hit very hard , and the hours just fly by when your out there. I only squeaked out a couple of buttons (1 flat and 1 tombac) , a large caliber musket ball , a bird band ,some small brass scraps and a drawer pull screw.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Welcome to the hobby, Bri! Looks like you're already hooked.
    That piece on the left reminds me of a flint striker kinda thing that you'd hit a rock with to make a spark.
    Being iron, would that work??

Quote Originally Posted by kray View Post
    Welcome to the hobby, Bri! Looks like you're already hooked.
    That piece on the left reminds me of a flint striker kinda thing that you'd hit a rock with to make a spark.
    Being iron, would that work??
    Maybe a strike-a-lite. They may come in a bunch of different shapes.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I found it in the back corner area of a smaller field near a leveling wall. Wasn't getting a lot of iron targets out there, so up it came.

cellar hole hunting is definitely a challenge compared to parks & yards.ya did great for your 1st cellar hole hunt! great guys to learn from.Dan taught me soo much.It's his & George's (coinnut) fault I'm a cellar hole Junkie now!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers