Thread: What features would you like on your next detector?

What features would you like on your next detector?

The one feature I'd love to have is a feature that was
    available years ago called "surface blanking"

This is where you could turn it on, and the blanker
    would ignore all targets in the first 1 to 3 inch deep range.

I understand that it didn't work all that well back in the day, but
    with today's technology I don't see why it could not be made to work.

Today depth meters are not accurate in inches, but they do a good job
    of telling a shallow target from a deep one.

Sure you might miss a few good shallow oldies, but the trade off would be
    almost all pull-tabs, bottle caps, zinc coins dropped in the last couple decades gone.

What features would you like to see?
    *Missouri* E-trac Sunray X1* Oldest 1836 1/4 Real* Oldest Silver 1853 Half Dime * Nicest 1861 Seated Liberty* Gold Pocket Watch* 1904 Worlds Fair Ring*

HI DEF imaging would be nice
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

I have always wished for that same ability on a detector, Denny.

We had a similar thread on this topic a few years ago, and if you read down a ways you will see that I said pretty much the same thing.

http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...Dream-Detector
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Another idea would be a wireless pinpointer that works similar to a Sunray. Bluetooth maybe.
    *Missouri* E-trac Sunray X1* Oldest 1836 1/4 Real* Oldest Silver 1853 Half Dime * Nicest 1861 Seated Liberty* Gold Pocket Watch* 1904 Worlds Fair Ring*

I'd like Humminbird to make a side imaging detector. They're so cool in a boat.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Smile

I'd like one of these...

Name:  Detector attachment.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  5.4 KB
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Imaging. Like mri or sonar based upon the magnetic pickup. It would take an advanced processor to do so. Think of an ultrasound machine but the picture wouldn't be a baby, but the coins. Lol

Henry
    An espresso dispenser would be invaluable!

LIVE FREE OR DIE

Backlit display would be great for late evening or early morning hunting. In SE Texas you have to get out by 6 a.m. so you don't melt.....

I haven't been in it too long but I already would like sat Nav mapping that allows me to pinpoint map locations of each good find. That way, later on I can look at the map of a location I've dug and, by examining where I've found stuff, find patterns of where more/better finds might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Twobit View Post
    I haven't been in it too long but I already would like sat Nav mapping that allows me to pinpoint map locations of each good find. That way, later on I can look at the map of a location I've dug and, by examining where I've found stuff, find patterns of where more/better finds might be.
    The Minelab CTX 3030 has this ability. It has a built in GPS and can track your detecting path as well as mark each find. You can even use different colored markers for each type of find.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    Easy....one that won't break down. Have swung Garretts only for over 40 years but the Pro is a real thorn in my side. 4 times back.........................dependability in the Garrett line is my wish or a rerun of the old Freedom 3 Plus series!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    The Minelab CTX 3030 has this ability. It has a built in GPS and can track your detecting path as well as mark each find. You can even use different colored markers for each type of find.

well ill I guess I should get used to having good ideas right after someone else. I was excited two years ago about my idea for a GPS/heads up display that projects onto the lower portion of your windshield....it came out this year....
    thanks for the heads up though. Not even gonna check out the price on that one!

Nothing, just become one with your machine and listen to the tones. That's all you need trust me.
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

What Todd said!

Multiple frequency with conditional response programming. (If, then, and, or) instead of just traditional discrimination.

Example: IF target is more responsive to low frequency, AND estimated depth is over 6 inches, OR vdi = 80 to 90

This would take more processing power, but there are ARM processors that can do the job now.
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Wow Tony the GPS feature is totally cool! I must have it!!! I would also go for the espresso machine, but only it had the nozzle for the steamed milk too

Lightbulb RC Quadcopter Metal Detecting

I would luv a Wi-Fi ready detector w/GPS that I could take the control head and coil off of and mount on my rc quadcopter so I could comb a field while sipping iced tea from the shade of a big tree on hotter days.
    The copter has the lift capacity to hang the coil down a few feet but still looking for a way to get the telemetry to my ground station.
    I guess a 4wd rc truck would work well just not as much fun.

John.

Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3

I just want a machine that doesn't break You know, bad coils, slipping locking cams, push buttons that only work sometimes, and a seal that really is waterproof .
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold