Thread: Dusting off the Minelab... virgin picnic grove... Barber half dollar

Threaded View

Dusting off the Minelab... virgin picnic grove... Barber half dollar

Hi there all American Detectorists! Your posts have been an inspiration to me this year. Thank you.

So, sadly I've only been out swinging my machine twice this year. Once in April and again July 5th.

Early April -
    I hiked up, (what seemed like a Colorado Mountain), to an old rock quarry I thought might hold some coins
    from the early 1900's. Researched during the winter months and put on 'the list'.

The grass was long and the Barbers and Indian cents eluded me. However a Merc, Rosie and Wheat cents came up easily.

July 5th -
    My buddy Ron has been vigilantly out this year, picking up Seated coins, Rosies and everything in between. He called Saturday about 3:30 in the afternoon to see if I wanted to go on a hunt. Finally we were able to hunt together again...
    We were off to a virgin picnic grove he found in Wisconsin.

Ron hunted this beautiful area one time a couple of weeks ago and waited until I could go with him before he returned.

The return trip was fantastic! Cloudy skies, mid 70's, north wind and a good chance of silver.

There are tons of coin targets here. The picnic grove started in the early 1920's (rumor has it earlier) and is still being used today. So, finding deep targets in between the carpet of clad was challenging, but we cherry picked this hunt and each of us had several
    Wheat cents, silver coins and jewelry in our pockets after a couple of hours hunting.

In my pocket -

This site has potential!!!
    Last edited by jkress; 07-07-2014 at 02:33 AM.