Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two coin spill, oldest wheat, merc, and whale tail.

Two coin spill, oldest wheat, merc, and whale tail.

Yesterday I said it and it was true. I didn't waste the day when I got home from work. After relaxing for just a bit I decided to go. The first place I spent 2-2.5 hours there and I didn't have much to show for it. Toward the time I was about to pack up, this old woman from across the street came by to see if I found anything. Her house is around 1830's. Shes going on about how she has a white's, probably 25 years old, thats been sitting in the attic for quite some time. She used it on the property herself and told me she's seen a bunch on the place I was at a few times already. I asked her if she did her own property. It was an 1850 property. I walked away with my oldest wheat, 1914. I also found this weird piece by the tree out front. The tree is maybe 80 years old. It's some sort of whale tail piece. Not sure what its used for. There is an old pump well out front still (but it's not missing a piece). What I found almost reminds me of a large novelty bottle opener. lol.
    Name:  1914 wheat.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  61.7 KBName:  Whale tail top.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  83.9 KBName:  Whale Tail bottom.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  85.7 KB
    The second place I went to seemed like virgin property. I spent maybe an hour there and I had much more to show for it. It was a park located probably the third oldest part of town. The oldest being 1630's (which is my next spot to hit). It was located next to a church. The property card for the church says it's newer than 1868. There is a church in the same area on my old map. I saw the heating oil tank out back, similar to the 1704 school house I hit earlier this summer. Fresh batteries and I was ready. The first few hits were just pull tabs. This first coin spill was three pennies. When I dug them, they were literally stacked ontop of each other. Only pennies, but ehh... coin spill. Then I went near this small berry tree. Bam, Merc, 1942. That was actually my first merc. I went near this concrete slab, I saw two signals in the same swing. I pinpointed both. I dug one and it was just a penny. Then I moved to the other. The readings had both been in the full copper range. I started digging. Out popped a wheat. I hit two things with pin pointer. Out popped another wheat. Theres more? Then a regular '65 penny. And again? Another wheat. After swinging for a bit I went back near the small tree. On the other side of it I found an earing. Shaped like a bell with sterling and '331' printed inside. It's older seeing as they rarely use sterling for jewelry instead of 925 (and the 945 in the newer mexican silver jewelry). It was getting dark and my pocket was full. I'll wait but another trip is in order.
    Name:  Bell earing 7-17.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  48.1 KBName:  Wheats&Dime 7-17.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  65.7 KBName:  Mercury front 7-17.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  63.0 KBName:  Mercury dime 7-17.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  40.3 KBName:  Clad 7-17.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  52.2 KBName:  Bell Earing.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  43.2 KBName:  Bell earing side.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  46.4 KB

Great bunch of finds! Congrats on your first Merc and your oldest wheat cent!

I really like that earring! It is very ornate and interesting. Beautiful!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Wow, What a great hunt you had. Love that earring.
    Congrats on your Merc and all the wheats.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Veteran Member
    My first Merc was a 1942 as well. Great job.

on your 1st merc, may many more get under your coil. The earring sure is interesting, does it ring like a bell?
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Great bunch of finds you got there and congrats on your first merc

Nice job with the finds and merc. That bell earring is very cool.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

AL, yes there is a clapper inside that moves. Obviously it's no liberty bell but it chimes a little.

Thanks all. The finds are getting better. But it's luck. I went to second oldest part of town. Did a school (a small area) between the fields and what used to be an old church. It's called church street but there is no longer a church there. I think I found the broken window panes in the top layer of soil buy there was nothing but junk and a few new coins in the area I did. I went to a library that was built in 1850 which was right there. Only a penny and a dime. I then went to a spot that was by old wagon roads which are now a small green. And yet again...nothing worth it. Not even research pays off this time. This is why I say it's all luck with MDing.

Candidate Member
    did you check the wheat for a "d" thats a key date coin worth a few bucks.

Very nice and congrats on your first Merc. Patience and persistence...two must haves in this hobby but you're on the right track.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Grats Mango,
    it looks like you are finding some good locations. I imagine Lee will be asking to join you!

Wow great finds! And beautiful detail on the earing.

Jim , the hobby can be very inconsistent at times . meaning you could research a spot that seems so remote or looks so good , only to find out its a total bust but the area you drive by 100 times ( thats in plain site right off the road bu the way ) that you would think "everybody and their mother" has hit isn't hit at all . its very odd but happens more then you think.

keep at it sir your doing well
    Last edited by del; 07-19-2014 at 02:54 AM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Twobit View Post
    Grats Mango,
    it looks like you are finding some good locations. I imagine Lee will be asking to join you!
    you say that like im a parasite !!!!!
    well done jimbo im proud of ya son.....................so.........any chance i can join you.........darn it !!!!!!

Woody, I know one of the spill wheats had a Denver mint. There is another wheat in my specific collection from MDing, but unsure if from this hunt or prior hunt. The merc was only Philly.

The school yard gave me a 1959..One year off from walking away with at least one piece worth digging. But the fact digging any solid copper pennies indicates places weren't hit hard. You never know if it's regular solid penny, wheat, or Indian head until you dig it. So if u find a bit of solid copper pennies, means it wasn't hit or just barely hit.

Lee, answer the phone then. Haha. Or send me a message. I gotta get back out with Lou and Kev and a first with Mike. I thought I was the parasite always going to your places (altho places are too big to hit alone. Acres scoured with an 8-11 inch coil). I will add I'm unsure if the other CT boys are wanting to get out like Dave and the Todds too.

Veteran Member
    Congrats for the finds. Persistence pays off. Safe & HH

Nice work Jim. That's a cool bell earring & congrats on your first Merc.

Luck can certainly help when M'detecting, but I think research and experience will prove to be more advantageous in the long run. I won't speak for you, but I know I have a long way to go and a ton more to learn & that is why I try to get out as much as my schedule allows. I'm off this week, but the family is heading to PA for a few days starting tomorrow. I should be available Thursday afternoon and all day Friday & possibly next weekend should you want to get out together again.

Happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    you say that like im a parasite !!!!!
    well done jimbo im proud of ya son.....................so.........any chance i can join you.........darn it !!!!!!
    Not at all Lee! I just know that you have tremendous luck detecting with noobs like me and don't brag enough about it.

Luck - n. Def: detecting right where inexperienced detectors are hunting and showing them how to find the good stuff.

by the way, did you clean up that penny?

Quote Originally Posted by Twobit View Post
    Not at all Lee! I just know that you have tremendous luck detecting with noobs like me and don't brag enough about it.

Luck - n. Def: detecting right where inexperienced detectors are hunting and showing them how to find the good stuff.

by the way, did you clean up that penny?
    no i dare not touch it, its pretty toasted but i think thay only made the fugio cent in 1787 so i at least know the date.

Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    no i dare not touch it, its pretty toasted but i think thay only made the fugio cent in 1787 so i at least know the date.
    Lee, when did you get this fugio? Back at Maromas this weekend?