Thread: Getting back into the swing

Getting back into the swing

I've done less hunting this year so far than any other year since I've started detecting, mostly due to work but also a busy home schedule as well. After not getting in a single hunt in July I've finally started getting back into the swing over the past few weeks.

This past week in particular I got in some nice evening hunts with some decent finds to show for it. I worked a few of my favorite spots as well as a new location that I hit several nights in a row. On the third evening there I had an odd experience. A little old lady approached me and asked if I was looking for coins. I said yes. She told me she had seen a number of people before me hunting this spot. She seemed as if she wanted to convince me I was not going to have any luck at this spot so I should head elsewhere. I told her I figured I wasn't the first to hunt this spot but that you never know when might have been missed and that it was nice to just be outside on a nice evening. She watched me for a bit and then wandered back to her yard where she continued to keep an eye on me. After 10 or 15 minutes she walked back over and asked if the car parked in front of her house was mine. I told her no. Then things got weird. She asked if I had seen her son. She said it was getting late and she couldn't get him to come in for the night. It seemed odd that a 70+ year old woman would need to bring her son in for the night. I asked what he looked like. She said he was tall. Then she said the police might have gotten him again, and that they have beaten him up a couple of times now. Then she asked me if I was "one of them" and when I said no she again asked me if I had seen her son. I'm not sure if she was really not all there of if she was just a very crafty old lady who figured pretending to be nuts would get me to go away. Either way it was getting late and I took my leave.

Anyway, I got a few nice old coins over the coarse of the week in addition to a very worn and broken 10k signed ring. I also dug a very cool 1946 Captain Midnight decoder badge which I'm quite pleased with.

Happy hunting!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Hmmm. That lady is creepy That '28 Merc is gorgeous. Lost soon after it was made. Any mint mark on that 1912 V nickel? Are you going to go back to the creepy location again??
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Nice to see a post from you, Matt!

Great bunch of finds there! Some terrific coins, relics, and even a gold ring! I really like the Captain Midnight decoder badge. Very cool that it has the date on it.

Congrats on all of those great finds!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Good to see that you are back into the swing of things. I was missing all those nice finds that you usually post and it's nice to see you not disappoint. Great collections of finds. For the older crowd, Captain Midnight went from the radio to TV and became Jet Jackson after Ovaltine sold the show. TV was in its infancy but that was one of my favorite programs. Neat find!

Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

quite a lot of different finds silver a old hem weight a model t or model a valve stem cover and all of the rest congrats

some nice coins and the gold , well its make for a great hunt . the Captain Midnight decoder badge is in great shape , is it all there or is it missing a piece in the middle?? nice to see you posting again Matt , don't be a stranger
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

For a spot that`s been hunted before you sure cleaned up

Veteran Member
    Welcome back to hunting and glad to see your first hunt back was so successful. Hope it continues. Safe & HH

Who says that detecting cant be entertaining. That lady has some issues but glad to see she didn't run you off. Glad to see you swinging again and its paid off with some great items. Very nice merc and of course the gold ring.

Thanks for posting and HH.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Fantastic bunch of finds you've got there, congrats on all them silvers and the GOLD ring