Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twobit Lou and MangoAve Jim Join the Fun

Twobit Lou and MangoAve Jim Join the Fun

Lou, Jim, and I hit a cellar hole this morning and had fun digging many targets. There were actually two holes on this abandoned road. One hole was standing as late as the 1930s...and had the associated trash. The pump house was still standing, sorta.
    The adjacent, older hole had very little trash and lots of keepers. I found the CT copper on the lip, and the coin with the pig-tail was about 2o yrds away. Anyone know what kind of coin that is? The 188? IH was on the road. I spent about 6hrs at the site. Had a great time guys, we'll have to do it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 07-22-2014 at 12:41 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Not sure what you've got there, but nice finds!!

Congrats on some great finds.
    My favorite is the colonial scout piece.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

If the bottom pic is the second copper that you say has the 'pony tail', then it def is a different year king George. It's a right facing bust, the ct coppers were left facing. But each of them were different readings with my machine, and different than my coin.

Thanks Drew for inviting us. You cleared all those buttons and left only one for lou.

Jim on Connecticut coppers the bust can face either directions but Drew's copper in the bottom picture is a William III half penny possibly from 1696 to about 1701.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks Chief and Don, I might have dropped that scout neckerchief slide.
    Dan, I thought that second coin could be a 1600s as my other two 1600s coins have a blueish tint to them. They look more bronzy than coppery ...and they get super smooth. Thanks for the ID.
    Jim, your coin was super low sounding, low 70s (100 scale) as I recall. Dan, could it be a counterfeit?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Looks like a few nice finds today fellas, congrats. Guess that is an old cellar.

Thanks for the invite Drew, sorry I couldn't ditch work. I've pulled the fire alarm 6 times already this year, and I think they're catching on. Gotta lay low for a while.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Jim, your coin was super low sounding, low 70s (100 scale) as I recall. Dan, could it be a counterfeit?
    I'd have to see it Drew some Connecticut's can read into the low 70's but if it was a British copper then there's a good chance for it to be a counterfeit .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Big Silver....kinda

Had a great time Drew! We met that woman you dreaded as we were leaving....it wasn't pretty.
    anyway, I hit a little hole at the gateway to the property and just kept digging up these mystery items. Turns out they are modern "lift the dot" fasteners for tarps and cloth. Weird..they were at button depth for the site.
    At least I got a big silver piece...sadly it was a Big Y coin! Found it along the wall too. I have the strangest luck. The button appears to have been gilt although it is mostly gone on the front. The front has a weave pattern on the front and the hallmark on the back says, "Best Quality".
    The half circle object is interesting. At first I thought it was a coin cut in half but it is too thick. Perhaps it is a crude coin as there appear to be some indistinguishable markings on it.
    not sure how I find so much modern stuff while swing the coil in the same general locale as a guy who is pulling ancient coppers out of the ground. Gotta love being the new guy!

Thanks Dan, Jim will probably post it.
    Next time Brian, never hurts to ask.
    Lou, you found a BIG Y token?! That thing is probably worth more than any item found today
    It was nice meeting you...We'll do it again soon!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Great looking bunch of finds! Amazing the stuff that comes out of those eastern cellar holes!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

I HATE BIG Y TOKENS !!!!!!!!!......i have been fooled twice by them,seeing the readied edge and screaming......."MORGAN.....MORGAN".
    nice bunch of finds lads.
    im off tomorrow if anyone wants to hunt.

I cleaned up that funky half circle item and I'm pretty sure it has teeth marks on it from being bitten and bent in half. Why do I get all the really weird stuff? Ask Lee, he has seen it happen. Great signals always turn out to be oddities.

I can join you at a park..my daughter will be with me. She likes hunting with me because she thinks I'm looking for the worms. She collects them and talks to them in this comforting voice. Weird four year old...

No traipsing through thick vegetation though.

Thank you Tony, Lee. One day we'll meet up Lee.
    Dan, I thought that pigtail on the William 3rd looked familiar...I found one a few months ago.
    Same area that can be seen. The reverse of this new one has the arm and branch. Thanks again for the ID.
    ...and Lou, what's wrong with vegetation?!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Thank you Tony, Lee. One day we'll meet up Lee.
    Dan, I thought that pigtail on the William 3rd looked familiar...I found one a few months ago.
    Same area that can be seen. The reverse of this new one has the arm and branch. Thanks again for the ID.
    ...and Lou, what's wrong with vegetation?!
    ...dragging a a four year old through it.... Aside from that I love it. It makes the hunt more intriguing. Flat park greens don't offer as much mystery as stony fields overgrown with fern.

Great hunt guys! Those targets are good sign that it hasn't been hit before.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

That's exactly what Drew said when I found that button right at a gateway into a pasture. There were signs people had hunted there before but they pulled up huge iron, like a bed frame and stove pipes. I'd love to go there with you real cellar hole killers (Drew is one of them of course) and see how it is done.

Nice digs Drew. Great recovery on that old William III !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Dan, I knew that there were many varieties of the CT copper but (even though I was incorrect thinking it was a King George, due to the fact the CT copper was closer in minting periods) there is a way you were able to tell it wasn't a CT copper. I think the pony tail was wavy too on the CT coppers, not trapezoidal. I think the CT only had one year where it was facing right.

Anyway... Here is a link to the pics so you can determine if counterfeit as Drew has mentioned as a possibility. Realize too that both of his coppers were different readings themselves and both higher than mine. There is a pic of the coin, which I didnt clean more than using a soft toothbrush, next to the 1787 I found. The coin I got this time seems to have been layered as you can see around the edges. It almost looks like paint chipping off and the inner core oxidized in a different way. Where it was scratched, you can see it's definitley copper.

http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...906#post169906

Lou, that was an ordeal after. ugh... some people. I still like the way those things you found look even if they aren't old. I did think they looked painted, and of course you did get words off the back when you cleaned it up. lol. The Big Y coin was big silver. haha. And Lee, those coins used to be good too. I worked there thru HS and college. They used to be worth more than they are now. You used to be able to get a free slice of pizza with them (great for break time). Now they are pretty much the same as a coupon.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 07-23-2014 at 04:42 PM.