Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twobit Lou and MangoAve Jim Join the Fun

Nice finds. Looks like a good time was had by all. How about elaborating on the woman you ran into on your way out. Sounds like it would be a good story.

Well, have you ever met someone who had clearly made the decision to be a miserable cur for their entire existence? We did! Drew warned us because he had the unfortunate experience of having to deal with her in multiple capacities in the past. When he realized the property adjacent to the site was hers he did his due diligence to make sure it was public property before returning. She did not agree with his assessment.
    When Mango and I returned to our cars we were greeted by her speeding up to us and wailing. It's an interesting sight to see a morbidly obese woman shouting angrily over the windshield of a subcompact car.

she interrogated us on what we were doing, told us she wrote down our license plates, insinuated we were probably in the woods doing heroin, but then admitted she knew exactly what we were there for and assumed Drew had been with us. I told her that, according to the GIS the property was public and our cars were parked on a public road and she raved, "well I'm going to call the town and they will tell you otherwise!" I said, "The GIS is the towns database....it's what they will check when you ask them."
    She went apoplectic and said,"no, that's different!"
    Then another guy shows up (she called him) and his version of who owns which property is completely different from hers. He admits where we were was public but claims that the area at the road is private and we can't cross it. Then he claims he was "involved in law enforcement" (total lie) and threatens to shoot us if we go onto his property. I explained to him that both telling someone you would shoot them and shooting them because they are on your property are illegal in this state and he tried changing the parameters of the situation to show how, if we were vandalizing his car, then he could shoot us. I explained that it was still illegal and he spouted nonsense about "being with law enforcement" again. When he asked us what we were doing and I told him he put his head down and laughed a little. It was clear that he had been mislead by the crazy woman. Still, though, he kept up his charade...just with less gusto. He explained that they had some problems with troublemakers using that area for nefarious purposes. I said, "do I look like a heroin addict to you?"
    he also claimed that state police were on their way. When we didn't rush out he stopped playing that card. All in all it was one red-faced, nasty woman and a redneck who she called trying to scare us off. I felt confident in Drew's research and didn't fear.

you know what they say about arguing with stupid people.....
    I did my best to be civil and not take the bait. I figured that, although we were in the right, being a cretin would spoil Drew's site for the future. It sure would have been fun to use the Socratic method on them though. Gotta get something out of my philosophy degree!

Quote Originally Posted by Twobit View Post
    Well, have you ever met someone who had clearly made the decision to be a miserable cur for their entire existence? We did! Drew warned us because he had the unfortunate experience of having to deal with her in multiple capacities in the past. When he realized the property adjacent to the site was hers he did his due diligence to make sure it was public property before returning. She did not agree with his assessment.
    When Mango and I returned to our cars we were greeted by her speeding up to us and wailing. It's an interesting sight to see a morbidly obese woman shouting angrily over the windshield of a subcompact car.

she interrogated us on what we were doing, told us she wrote down our license plates, insinuated we were probably in the woods doing heroin, but then admitted she knew exactly what we were there for and assumed Drew had been with us. I told her that, according to the GIS the property was public and our cars were parked on a public road and she raved, "well I'm going to call the town and they will tell you otherwise!" I said, "The GIS is the towns database....it's what they will check when you ask them."
    She went apoplectic and said,"no, that's different!"
    Then another guy shows up (she called him) and his version of who owns which property is completely different from hers. He admits where we were was public but claims that the area at the road is private and we can't cross it. Then he claims he was "involved in law enforcement" (total lie) and threatens to shoot us if we go onto his property. I explained to him that both telling someone you would shoot them and shooting them because they are on your property are illegal in this state and he tried changing the parameters of the situation to show how, if we were vandalizing his car, then he could shoot us. I explained that it was still illegal and he spouted nonsense about "being with law enforcement" again. When he asked us what we were doing and I told him he put his head down and laughed a little. It was clear that he had been mislead by the crazy woman. Still, though, he kept up his charade...just with less gusto. He explained that they had some problems with troublemakers using that area for nefarious purposes. I said, "do I look like a heroin addict to you?"
    he also claimed that state police were on their way. When we didn't rush out he stopped playing that card. All in all it was one red-faced, nasty woman and a redneck who she called trying to scare us off. I felt confident in Drew's research and didn't fear.

you know what they say about arguing with stupid people.....
    I did my best to be civil and not take the bait. I figured that, although we were in the right, being a cretin would spoil Drew's site for the future. It sure would have been fun to use the Socratic method on them though. Gotta get something out of my philosophy degree!

I knew it would be a good story. I love people that are mad at the world. I try to nice them to death when I encounter them. Sounds like you guys handled it well.

sounds like the same lady Dan,RI Terry me and jesse dealt with a couple years ago.nice finds fella's
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

I just kept quiet. I didn't wanna give them any fuel. Even if I say something correct they would have just told me I was wrong and added more bs. Just the same with the guy when he told you being on his property he would shoot you, and then you told him it's illegal to do so he tried to find a way to twist what he was saying. As far as her, that is what I meant by "some people." I don't know whether she feels she exists to make other's life hell, or she feels bored with her own life that she needs drama. This isn't middle school anymore. Lou, you did forget the redneck mentioned there were break-ins lately, the standard answer to similar situations. He also claimed he worked for the town offices besides also working for law enforcement.

You always think of things afterward to say. We could have told her to prove her property using any of her documents of her property and we could have used the GIS. We had the equipment we could have found the property pins. In this state, trespassing is only such when there are fences or no trespassing signs on the property. Or if there are no such deterrents, the owner of such property or a person of authority has to tell you that you are. It doesn't work if my neighbor directly says to someone that they don't want them on my property. How do you think a postal worker is allowed to walk onto your property to deliver mail? Because they happen to be a government employee allows them access to your land? No, if you don't want them, you have to put up a fence or tell them not to go on land( AND you would have to provide a mailbox by the street for them.) I read the general statute, although it's not specific to include the previous example. I would have also thought to tell her falsifying a report to police is an offense that she can be prosecuted for. Not by us; by the state's prosecutor. It is similar to the new thing of swatting. I know she was acting pretty stupid, but it doesn't excuse her for willingfully trying to put us through an ordeal just because she didn't like people NEAR her property. I do have my neighbor that works as an officer for Torrington (this is honest, unlike the redneck's blah blah). I have to ask him the legality of having a 'friend' run plate numbers. I really think that is an abuse of power by whomever did it for her. (However, sadly I don't think that part matters to anyone concerned)

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    sounds like the same lady Dan,RI Terry me and jesse dealt with a couple years ago.nice finds fella's

sure does Dave , I thought that lady was going to follow me all the way home
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

easy cure to this lads, take a cockney with you next time .....im sure you have seen the movies lock stock, and snatch....welcome to my world.

Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    easy cure to this lads, take a cockney with you next time .....im sure you have seen the movies lock stock, and snatch....welcome to my world.
    Haha. You think you are Jason Statham or Vinny Jones? Well, you do look more like Vinny...

WOW, isn't it GREAT to be popular!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

I was hoping there was a good story behind this. Awesome!
    Did he really use the word "nefarious"? Not sure I've heard that word spoken aloud outside of a movie. Plus he was going to shoot you and had the state police coming. He had all the bases covered, bravo.

Now I really want to hit this place. We'll park locally and pile in my car. Maybe that'll shut them up.
    And the answer to your next question is no, I am not. The nickname was given to me in 2002, and the car is a recent coincidence.

Name:  P71.2.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  63.2 KB
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Bir, "nefarious" was mine. Can't help myself with the verbiage. I'm an English teacher, it's all I have!

Bri, "nefarious" was mine.
    Yeah, I would have been shocked the guy would have known this word. It might have made the story more amusing if he did. I used obstreperous as a username for online gaming and one time I had to hear "I know what that word means. What, did you have to look that up in a dictionary? ....(cuz that's what I had to do)"

Great bunch of finds you got there Drew :thumbsup02 I like the copper

You notice I left just before all heck broke out?
    Rookies
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Veteran Member
    Looks like you had a great day, congrats. Safe & HH

Holy cow! Why didn't someone crack on me for talking about being an English teacher and doing a typo at the same time? I deserved it!

Drew, clearly your sixth sense is not limited to locating coppers. You sure did know when to go!

Holy cow! Why didn't someone crack on me for talking about being an English teacher and doing a typo at the same time? I deserved it!
    The "Bir" instead of "Bri?" I didn't even notice it. But now that you point it out...
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Lol. U didn't notice I fixed it in the reply? I didn't bother to rag on you about it.

And lou, I think drew set us up.