Thread: *andrew jackson 1828 campaign medallion*

*andrew jackson 1828 campaign medallion*

- This is my first time cleaning pewter so don't judge me if it's a bit rough, thank you -

I finally decided to take this pewter coin and use Dave's (HEAVYMETALNUT's) method of using hair spray to coat the coin... when i first rinsed the coin I saw a date of 1828... I just knew it had to be good based on that date and the site didn't have any relics after 1850. I can't believe what this turned out to be!!!

Andrew Jackson's second term (1828) campaign medallion which used to have a hole in the top but was broken off and lost. The pewter chipped a little but there's nothing you can do. I can't believe this!!! It's the first one I've ever seen dug!!! Dan actually suggested this being some type of presidential campaign medallion when I first dug it. This is officially my best hunt ever.

http://www.politico.com/gallery/2013...11-018769.html

I also found two silver Roosevelt Dimes and 11 Wheat Cents today.

GL and HH!!!

< Isaac >
    Last edited by Isaac; 08-31-2014 at 09:48 PM.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Had a feeling that's what it was as fast frank dug one similiar.so..I kinda figured thats what it was.good job on not being scared to get it done and sealed.you can give it a few coats on each side
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

It may be a little toasty but there is still a good amount of details left where you can get an ID off it. Congrats on the finds while you were up this way.

Another great piece of history saved!!
    Congrats!
    I never even knew those existed.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

My gosh that is a historic find!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Isaac , its a really an interesting item I just wish they made them out of brass . the type of pewter used has lots of tin and as you know now tin gets very brittle but you did same a great majority of the medal. you would of probably had half or that or less if your dad didn't have that plastic baggy to keep it in with the moist dirt. congrats on a very cool piece of history.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    Had a feeling that's what it was as fast frank dug one similiar.so..I kinda figured thats what it was.good job on not being scared to get it done and sealed.you can give it a few coats on each side
    Thanks Dave. I put a few coats on each side… did I do well for my first time cleaning pewter?

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    It may be a little toasty but there is still a good amount of details left where you can get an ID off it. Congrats on the finds while you were up this way.
    Thanks MangoAve. That's what it's about!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    Another great piece of history saved!!
    Congrats!
    I never even knew those existed.
    Thanks Ill Digger, me either!

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    My gosh that is a historic find!
    Thanks Tony! I agree…
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Isaac , its a really an interesting item I just wish they made them out of brass . the type of pewter used has lots of tin and as you know now tin gets very brittle but you did same a great majority of the medal. you would of probably had half or that or less if your dad didn't have that plastic baggy to keep it in with the moist dirt. congrats on a very cool piece of history.
    You're right, it's too bad it wasn't made of brass. I'm really thankful for that plastic bag and bandaid box he gave me. Thanks Dan!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Your campaign medal is a excellent piece of history and display that one with pride. I never saw an Andrew Jackson medal posted before anywhere that I can remember, the bigger medals are nice and it is a shame that all were not struck in brass. I found a similar campaign medal back in the late 1980s, that for years was my pride and joy relic find of the time. Mine is a campaign medal from the 1840 campaign of William Henry Harrison. The back side shows a log cabin with the slogan "THE PEOPLES CHOICE" across the top and "THE HERO OF TIPPICANOE" at the bottom. It is a bit larger than a Half Dollar which I assume yours is about the same size. Don
    Attached Images Attached Images   

great piece Don thats the second Harrison piece I've seen , you definitely have much "tamer" soil then we here in Connecticut.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I have another Harrison one in great shape with gold gilt left on it. About a quarter in size.........
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Great find Isaac! Just noticed you're from Herndon. I'm a few miles south of you in Centreville. Those guys you dug with are a class act, aren't they?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jyes View Post
    I have another Harrison one in great shape with gold gilt left on it. About a quarter in size.........
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyes View Post
    Your campaign medal is a excellent piece of history and display that one with pride. I never saw an Andrew Jackson medal posted before anywhere that I can remember, the bigger medals are nice and it is a shame that all were not struck in brass. I found a similar campaign medal back in the late 1980s, that for years was my pride and joy relic find of the time. Mine is a campaign medal from the 1840 campaign of William Henry Harrison. The back side shows a log cabin with the slogan "THE PEOPLES CHOICE" across the top and "THE HERO OF TIPPICANOE" at the bottom. It is a bit larger than a Half Dollar which I assume yours is about the same size. Don
    Both of your medallions are absolutely beautiful!!! You're right, it sucks that they were made out of a corrosive metal such as pewter, but at least it's legible and identifiable. I think mine is a little bit bigger than a silver dollar. Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by kray View Post
    Great find Isaac! Just noticed you're from Herndon. I'm a few miles south of you in Centreville. Those guys you dug with are a class act, aren't they?!
    Thanks Ray! I noticed that as well... maybe we can hunt together in the future sometime! They are awesome people, very good company and are great at detecting. I had a great time hunting with them.
    I <3 colonial relics!