Thread: Lots of Silver at the Old School

Lots of Silver at the Old School

Hunted at an old high school building on both Saturday and Sunday with Daddy Digger. Ill Digger joined us on Sunday and we all got some silver. The current school building was constructed in 1919 but a local historian told us there was an older school that burned down on the site before that.

Right off the bat on Saturday morning I found a 1918-S Walking Liberty Half, so that was a good sign! By the end of the day on Saturday I had four silver coins: the Walker, 2 Mercs and a Rosie. This school is loaded with wheat cents too.

On Sunday I got 6 silver coins at the school: 1 Barber Dime, 4 Mercs and a Rosie. I ended up with 39 wheat cents for the weekend.

The keepers before cleaning:
    Name:  Keepers-Dirty-0831_zps3cbac64c.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  70.4 KB

... and after cleaning:
    Name:  Keepers_zps1b0edb14.jpg
Size:  92.5 KB

The 1918-S is now my oldest Walker:
    Name:  Walker-Obv_zps2abfb2fb.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  92.5 KBName:  Walker-Rev_zpsd9245fff.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  97.9 KB

The 1914 Barber Dime was in decent shape:
    Name:  Barber-Obv_zpsfb5b6e92.jpg
Size:  100.8 KBName:  Barber-Rev_zps93ec2e2f.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  98.0 KB

At first I thought I had gone another weekend without finding an Indian Head Cent, but when I got home and examined this coin that has been ran over by a train I discovered that not only is it an Indian, but the date is clearly visible. I'm counting it!
    Name:  Indian-Smashed-Obv_zps310cf56d.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  86.2 KBName:  Indian-Smashed-Rev_zpsac39be4f.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  106.1 KB

Some of the non-coin items I found:
    Name:  Relics-0831_zpsbba4d702.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  109.7 KB

I have no idea how old these buckles are:
    Name:  Buckles_zps3bcdf366.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  88.5 KB

Hub center from a Model T Ford:
    Name:  Ford_zpsab4b183f.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  75.1 KB

Collar Brass from 1918-1924 - F Company Civil Engineers:
    Name:  Collar-Obv_zpsf1b5b390.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  87.7 KB

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 02-06-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

OUTSTANDING Tony!! That was a great site even though it was heavily hunted I thought that smashed penny might be an indian head cent. It just had the feel and color of one. I see you also found a piece of a scatter tag. I ended up with two: a red one and a blue one. That walker cleaned up nice and your barber dime is also in really good shape. Thanks again for hosting me and I look forward to our next trip! Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

You did awesome this weekend Tony, what a great bunch of finds. I can't believe there are still sites like that out there. All your coins appear to be in very nice shape too. Well, except for the Indian. But it's still a keeper. I especially like that Collar Brass. Pieces like that are a once in a lifetime find.
    Congrats on a great weekend.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

what a nice bunch of silver , sweet to see large silvers pop up too. you and Dave both got a great looking barbers great to see you guys all out together too.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

10 silver in 2 days is a great score WTG.

Super finds as always ! Love the Walker !
    Always looking for that next ring !!

"I'm the only one who hasn't found a indian head this weekend.... I'm just saying." ................. And here you have one in your pocket the whole time and don't even know it!! Thats funny! And it's a 1800's even!!
    You guys had a nice weekend of finds!! I really like that collar disk! Thats a cool find! You had lottsa nice finds but you gotta love alll that silver!
    Congrats!!
    Thanks for letting my intrude on you guys weekend. It was a pleasure as always hunting with you! And also like always , I can't wait till we can do it again!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Man that's a boatload of silver Tony! Nothing like a good hunt with friends
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

A couple of those mercs are mice and shiny. A lot of silver.. and the cub scout item. I got the key to the model T. So every one pitch in and find a piece. Lol

Awesome hunt Tony!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Great success Tony! Man that school yard may be worth another trip back. Love how those silvers cleaned up and the civil engineers collar brass is probably my favorite of your finds outside the Walker. Congrats. By the way, there's a cellar hole fairly close to me that has half a whole Model-T car frame in it! MangoAve...you bring your key, Tony you bring the hub center, and I'll rent a flatbed truck to haul the larger load!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

That is an amazing haul Tony!!! The walking liberty half dollar is a sweet find! Out of 61 silver coins I've found this year, I've only pulled ONE half dollar. I like the flattened Indian Head penny also. I've found one flattened before but I was unable to make out a date.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Great Digs Tony! I recently got a flattened Indian head like that but no date on mine. Congrats!
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    A couple of those mercs are mice and shiny.

Sometimes if a silver coin has stubborn tarnish or stains and it's just a common date, I will clean it with baking soda. It makes them extra shiny. That's what I did on three of the Mercs and one Rosie.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Awesome hunt Tony! The Bobcat pin brings back the days when my boys were in Scouts. Things like the Pinewood Derby still seem like yesterday. (My youngest is 52) Good to know about the baking soda on silver, that is if I ever find any.

I was gong to ask you how you clean your silver but you already answered that. Great weekend of hunting. 10 silvers and 39 wheats ..
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member
    Great hunt. had a chance to watch Daddy Diggers video and it looks like you all did well. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 1 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 1 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 13 Wheats - $ 5.29 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes