Thread: Greetings from Central Illinois.

Lightbulb Greetings from Central Illinois.

Greetings to all from Central Illinois.

I'm a newbie to the hobby, though I have held interest in it for a couple of years now. I have not delved into the hobby much until recently when I bought a Garrett Ace 350 Detector. I'm mainly interested in coin shooting and precious metal hunting since I am most interested in numismatics, though it's always fun to find strange objects and artifacts in the ground. I've only used this detector a couple of times so far (including today) and though I haven't detected any coins (yet!), I have detected various items ranging from the majority of a pocket watch to a rabies tag from a family dog. I am anxious and optimistic for future detecting.

Welcome to the forum from SW Illinois! Where in Central Illinois are you? Lot's of guys in our area who can help you learn about MDing and plenty of great advice on this forum. Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Hello and Welcome from Northern Illinois. Looking forward to your future posts.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Looks like Illinois members are dominating here. Here's a welcome from western MA. Looking forward to your future posts.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Welcome from another Illinoisan.

The Garrett Ace 350 is a popular and capable machine, it shouldn't be long until you are finding some "argent" with it.

We're glad you joined the forum, and we're looking forward to your participation. Best of luck and happy hunting!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Welcome aboard from western MA. You will find coins soon. Maybe even the shiny ones you are seeking
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Hello and welcome from over in Washington state. Lots of folks from Illinois on the site. Have fun with your new hobby!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Thank you to all for the welcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Welcome to the forum from SW Illinois! Where in Central Illinois are you? Lot's of guys in our area who can help you learn about MDing and plenty of great advice on this forum. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

I live just a bit South of the Peoria area. I've been starting out around the land that my grandparents own (some old farmland and wooded areas are within this mix as well) and have just barely scratched the surface of the lawn itself!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    The Garrett Ace 350 is a popular and capable machine, it shouldn't be long until you are finding some "argent" with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Welcome aboard from western MA. You will find coins soon. Maybe even the shiny ones you are seeking
    I'm quite optimistic on this. It is only a matter of time, effort, and patience. I'm still figuring out which configuration will work best for coin shooting, but so far it's been a blast finding random items (even items like an old makeup tin and the hammer to a gun or cap gun of some sort).

I have detected in Tremont and Delavan before, so I've probably been close to your area.

Surely there are old coins and relics to be found on your grandfather's farmland. Keep us posted on your progress!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Welcome to the forum from Kalamazoo

Welcome to the forum from Ohio
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Hello and welcome to the forum ArgentAgent , glad you joined us here .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Welcome!!! You're not far from my area of Sangamon County. Your hunting grounds will yield a lot of goodies, but farm sites are famous for being loaded with iron trash, junk, tin scrap, plus a whole lot of shotgun shell ends (headstamps), brass ammo casings, etc. Be prepared to dig up a lot of junk (along with the good stuff) to learn what the machine is telling you.

If you need old map sources for your area or old aerial pics of the farmland just PM me

Good luck!!!!!!!
    Minelab Etrac, SEF 8x6.
    Garrett AT Gold, 5x8 coil, Garrett PP
    Equinox 800