Thread: Maiden Voyage for the New E-Trac

Maiden Voyage for the New E-Trac

Last Saturday I put in a order with our forum sponsor Bart at Big Boys Hobbies for a new E-Trac and some accessories.

Picked up a new ET, SunRay Pro Gold headphones, Samson shovel. (And a few other things too.)
    After their first hunt....

This past winter I obtained permission for a local farm stead that's one of the oldest dwellings in our county. I actually forgot about this place. I've been wanting to hunt this place for over 4 years now. So today things lined up. I contacted the owner and he said sure, go for it. So I did!
    Things are definitely weird at this place. In the first 2 hours I was only able to find 2 wheats and 5 or 6 clad coins. But I did find a area of the barn yard that is undisturbed. This started with a deep sounding 13-46,47. It turned out to be the first silver for the new E-Trac!!

First silver is a 1943 Washington quarter!!

Shortly after that got a 12-46 at the same depth and in the dirt is this.

Turned out to be a 1936 Merc dime. Then a I got a bouncy nickle reading about 6 or 7 inches deep. Out pops the new E-Tracs first old nickle.
    Which turned out to be 1919 Buff.

Noticing I was in a little "hot zone" I started to grid off this little area. I got a jumpy penny dime signal that was really hard to pin point. I finally dug down and got a wheat. I back filled the hole, rechecked the hole and got another signal. A few inches ahead I dug another small plug and I seen a glimpse of silver in the hole!! A 1907 Barber dime!! Backfilled that hole, rechecked it and..... another penny dime signal!
    Redug the hole and got a signal off to the side with the pinpointer.
    Tunneled in a bit pulled the dirt out and seen this...

The owner pulled up in his truck as I pulled it out of the pile and says "finding anything good?" With a smile on my face I walled over and showed him the 1910 Barber dime I just dug up!

Before leaving for home to catch the Packers game I snagged another Merc, another Buff, and a beautiful emerald green 1875 IH!!
    Heres the handful of keepers as I was leaving for home

I'd have to say the maiden voyage with the new E-Trac was a success!!

Thanks for lookin' & HH everyone.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

great hunt Tim !! you broke that machine in with style
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Veteran Member
    Great hunt Tim and good luck in the future with your new machine. Looks like you two played very nice together!

Wow awesome hunt great maiden voyage 2 barbers in one hunt I think I would've skipped the packers game lol
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Awesome finds and great pictures Timmy . Congrats on a great maiden voyage .

Congrats! On your maiden hunt with your e-trac! A great bunch of oldies!

Wow Timmy!! That is a GREAT hunt! That new e-trac sure broke in real good. What was wrong with the old one? I know you were having problems with it. We need to get together soon. Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

WTG on finally getting to that site. Your new Etrac proved itself on this hunt. on all those keepers and I also would have skipped the game....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member
    That's a nice group of coins. Really nice looking early Indian. Great finds. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 1 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 1 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 13 Wheats - $ 5.29 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Now THAT'S how you break in a new E-Trac!

That was a terrific hunt, Tim! So many great finds. Lots of nice silver, but I think my favorite is that 1875 Indian Head! Rarely do they come out of the ground looking that nice. Such a beautiful emerald green patina. Awesome!

I'm curious about what you think of the Sun Ray headphones. Do you like them better than the Gray Ghosts? I'm in need of some new headphones myself and I'm open to suggestions.

Congrats on the wonderful hunt with your new E-Trac!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Congrats on the finds with the new toys! Nice lookin' handful there. And I'm with Tony, that 1875 is a beauty.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    WTG Tim, I did not know you were expecting a new addition to the family. Looks like she is going to fit right in. Congrats on some great finds, what a way to break her in. Let me know when she is ready for some WI dirt.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Wow Timmy!! That is a GREAT hunt! That new e-trac sure broke in real good. What was wrong with the old one? I know you were having problems with it. We need to get together soon. Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Thanks Dave! The old one was would go silent every now and then. The slightest little bump against a rock, tree, sidewalk edge... would shut it off. Sometimes it would come back on by it's self, other times I'd have to turn it back on.... Just to name a few of the problems. It has other issues as well. Now that I've got my new one I can send that one back to MineLab and have them go through it again. As for getting together, I'm going out this weekend...... Somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Now THAT'S how you break in a new E-Trac!

That was a terrific hunt, Tim! So many great finds. Lots of nice silver, but I think my favorite is that 1875 Indian Head! Rarely do they come out of the ground looking that nice. Such a beautiful emerald green patina. Awesome!

I'm curious about what you think of the Sun Ray headphones. Do you like them better than the Gray Ghosts? I'm in need of some new headphones myself and I'm open to suggestions.

Congrats on the wonderful hunt with your new E-Trac!
    Thanks Tony! I'll post some better pictures of the IH. I'm having trouble loading my pics to PB right now.
    The new SunRay Pro Gold headphones? Well, so far so good. I've only used them twice so far. But what I have noticed is they seem to fit tighter on your head. I think they block out the outside sound better than the Gray Ghosts do too. The reason I say that is, I gotta take off one of the earmuffs so I can hear my pinpointer!

Wow...great way to break in the Etrac...congrats.
    Minelab Etrac, SEF 8x6.
    Garrett AT Gold, 5x8 coil, Garrett PP
    Equinox 800

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    I'd say you are one with your new machine!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Thanks everyone! Yes I'd say we're getting along quite nicely.
    Heres a better shot of the IH.

Here's the back side.

Plain water and a tooth brush won't take the remaining dirt off of it.