Thread: My best find ever!!!!

Threaded View

My best find ever!!!!

This is my first official post on this forum and I thought it would be fitting to describe my best find ever. I started detecting in Spring of 2013 and found my first silvers in Fall of 2013, but didn't find anything pre 1900 until March of 2014. I discovered a cellar hole sort of by chance as it is not shown on any map. The cellar hole is very old and consists of just a small indentation surrounding by rocks. There is a small mound right next to the cellar hole but loaded with rocks which makes digging difficult. The cellar holes is off a path and the path had been previously used as a road but now is simply used as a trail. So, in March of 2014 I discovered the cellar hole and started to find various flat buttons and lead objects. My first coin find was an 1802 Draped Bust large cent which made me go absolutely nuts as my previous oldest find was an 1908 Indian Head penny found back in November. The draped bust was right on the mound next to the cellar hole. A few minutes later I found another copper which I have still yet to identify. I started coming back every chance I got during my weekends and found a pistol ball. musket ball and another buttons. I ventured away from the cellar hole one day and found a 1904s barber dime, a semi key date and at the time was my most valuable coin. I also detecting the trail and found a buffalo nickel, a 3 coin indian head spill, some gold plated things, and a really really ugly indian head. So, one day in early April I head to the cellar at the crack of dawn as I usually do and start detecting. I wasn't having much luck but dug a small cuff button and a few other relics that I can't exactly remember. I get a signal on my Garrett Ace 350 (I currently use the AT pro and 350) that is ringing up as a midtone. Now I've dug my fair share of shot gun shells from this site but also gotten some nice flat buttons. I dig down about 4 inches and I right away see something yellow in the hole. Now at this point my heart is beating and my mind is shouting "gold gold gold". I then notice that it is a coin. I am thinking "early American gold coin" in my head. I reach in and pull it out and notice a mans head on the front. I realize this is a foreign gold coin. I may have felt disappointed for a second but excitement takes over and I start thinking "Oh my god, oh my god". I make a guess that the coin is a British gold sovereign. I then proceed to call my dad and tell him over the phone that I found gold. I think he might have been more excited then I was. I get home and after some brief research discover the coin is A British King George III Gold Guinea with a spade reverse and the coin dates from 1790. I was beyond ecstatic. Most people dream of finding one gold coin in their lifetime and I found one with only one year of detecting experience. I still can not believe I dug this coin and appreciate since I may never dig another gold coin again.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button