Thread: Looking for colonial but only found 4 cents

Looking for colonial but only found 4 cents

Sept 27th - I had finally secured permission to detect the lawns of a 1790's colonial. I had detected the surrounding fields a few years ago and had made some nice finds. When I pulled in the driveway my hopes of a good day started to dwindle. The once nicely manicured lawns were a mess and the outlying areas were very overgrown. The house sits about 200' off the dirt road and has a long wrap around driveway. The house actually faces away from the road (so the back yard is the front yard ) Anyways I found an area of tall grass but not to bad to start swinging. About 15 minutes in I got a solid 13-45 in all directions. I put the shovel in the soil and clunk, there was about a half inch of dirt and a lot of shale rocks. Finally dug out a decent hole and ended up with a realy nice 1849 LC. Most of the day was digging junk, struggled with the amount of shale and rocks but did manage to hit for the 1 cent cycle. LC, Indian (1875), Wheatie, & Memorial. Also found a bent up back to a pocket watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Great picture of the freshly dug large cent!

The 1875 Indian Head is a very nice find too. Congrats on hitting for the cycle.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Not many people can say that they hit the cent cycle. on that accomplishment.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

that place looks like a great are to explore Brian , they must of had areas they like to picnic away from the house somewhere or hold family reunion get to gathers. congrats on the large cent and Indian.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Congrats on the "cycle" or as I have heard it called a "grand slam"!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Hey those are still some pretty awesome finds! Love the large cent in the plug shot, great penny grand slam today. Congrats on the finds. As del said check farther away from the homesite as they might've travelled or played in the woods or who knows what... awesome.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Beautiful digs. that large cent kooks to be in decent shape. Hope to see a pic of it when its cleaned up.

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Nicely done....Like Ron, I'd also like to see how it came out all cleaned up.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Just a rinse and quick scrub with toothbrush last night
    Attached Images Attached Images    

WTG on the LC and other saves.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Nice! An unusual combo for sure.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."