Thread: Fishing In The Fields!

Fishing In The Fields!

Boy I am glad that the farmers are starting to harvest the corn and beans. I went out Thursday and found a site on one of my new permissions. Spent about an hour and a half there seeing what may be found and came up with a few finds. A wheat cent lying on top of the ground was followed by a nice large Crotal Bell that unfortunately had the top part missing.

Then I found a couple of buckles and some other “partifacts” that are typical of farm fields. Here are some from all the fields.

The third field I hunted is one of the most difficult I have in my permissions, not a large site but extremely iron filled. Every good high tone whether trash or treasure is surrounded by iron grunts. Last year it was in corn making it all the more difficult as the remaining stalks were still quite high so you had to work around them. This year the beans are cut quite closely to the ground allowing for an easier swing. This field gave up the three best finds of the day. A button was the first thing I found, quite corroded and only with some CLR treatment and then a soft brass brush did the elegant design show through a bit.

Another interesting find was my first Cracker Jack Mystery Club Token, this one is George Washington. It looks like it suffered greatly but I still like it.

The prize of the day was a complete surprise to me, I never thought about finding this type of coin here in Southern Ohio. I have seen these dug by Michigan detectorist and others in the Northern tier of the country so to say I am pleased is a mild statement. It is a Queen Victoria silver 5 cents piece. They are known as “fish scales” due to their small size. Very similar in size to our half dime!

Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Nicely done Tony! Lots of goodies. I have found lots of the CJ tokens but never George Washington. Perhaps it was rarer. The idea was to collect 10 of them and send them in for a prize. The fishscale is a really neat find too. I found my first one only a couple weeks ago on my roadtrip with Tony Two-Cent. I was surprised to learn they are .925 silver! Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

the first field has some age to it from the type of finds in the picture Tony . congrats on the crotal bell , the early button and the small Canadian silver
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

That Canadian 5 center is Awesome. Great find. Congrats1
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

WTG on getting that fish scale, they are a tiny coin. To bad about your crotal bell and I agree about the 1st field, your finds look like they have some age.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Nice work Tony, you have some really neat finds. do you use a relic program in the fields you hunt?

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Nice variety if finds, Tony! I love that 1888 Canadian 5 cent piece. It doesn't look like it has much wear on it. Beautiful coin! You're right, they don't turn up too often this far south.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Ron I use the CTX in a combined mode with the iron line at 25. I use Ferrous coin with fast off and deep on, I run it wide open with the secondary mode with just a small nail reject discrimination. I use target trace and target trace pinpoint that way I can see multiple target cursors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronandari View Post
    Nice work Tony, you have some really neat finds. do you use a relic program in the fields you hunt?

Ron
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Thanks Tony. Sounds like the CTX has a couple more Gizmos than my Etrak and VX3. I have a corn field to that I got permission to hunt so hopefully i can find some goodies. It looks pretty rough with all the stalks ands crap everywhere.

Regards

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

I bet you find lots from that iron filled field. I love to hear old iron in our fields. It means keepers are close by!
    Really nice finds Tony!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Nice assortment of goodies there Tony. Congrats on the 5 cent piece.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Very cool! Congrats!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."