This is getting to be a real problem with the Vision/V3/V3i detector. All this time on the market and the stock D2 coil is still a piece of junk. White's is charging for upgrades to a detector that has serious coil problems. I have had 2 bad D2 coils in the past and finally Whites was kind enough to send me a V rated Super12 the last time in. Early this Spring I purchased another D2 coil and have had really great hunts with it and have grown to like it tremendously. It has become my coil of choice, just edging out the 112 SEF for accurate frequency response. Today I went out to the local park by my house to relax and had not been hunting more than 30 minutes when I started getting instability showing up. I looked around to see if there might be an EMI source causing the problems. Sometimes generators used by city workers will do this. I finally did the Whites approved test for checking the D2 coil, RX up to 15 and TX Boost turned on. Bingo it overloaded all over the place. As a matter of fact I could not get the RX above 9. I had 2 more V rated coils with me in the car. I switched out to the 950 and tested and then the Super12 both were solid as a rock. So, here I sit with my 3rd bad D2 coil. I will send it in tomorrow. This is sure not the quality control I have been used to in the past with my DFX and MXT. I don't think I will be spending any money on getting the V3 updated. Paying to be a guinea pig is not my idea of good customer service.

So, here is my open and direct question to Whites. Is the D2 coil issue resolved at this point, or do you continue to sell new Spectra V3i detectors with the same manufacture of coil that has this great potential to fail? Are the new individual D2 coils for sale on dealers shelves good ones, or do they have the same potential to fail as my new coil did? If the issue is not resolved, how can you still choose to sell a product that has such great potential to fail in good conscience?

I would really like an answer to this.

Thanks,
Jack