Thread: My first 1700's silver today !!!

My first 1700's silver today !!!

I would have never thought today was the day to cross one off the list ! I got out for a morning hunt with my son Carson to hunt a few schools . The first two were a bust . I'm glad they were because we moved on to a school that we hunted last week that gave up the good . We hunted for over an hour and found some clad and I found a cool old Scout pocket knife . As I moved out into the back field I saw an old looking area that seemed not part of the school . It had some really large tree stumps with big roots . Lots of weeded and dead grass . I had a target that was 6-7 inches and very broken high tone . As I dug down in the first inch I found a copper penny . I then probed it again and I had a deeper target , +79 VDI . As I dug deeper I saw a very thin looking silver coin ! I took a picture and called Carson over . I was hoping I had a Barber or a worn out Seated dime but it was something way better . When I dug out the side wall of the hole out popped the coin . Carson saw what it was and jumped up and said " IT'S A REALE !!!!! " I could not believe it !!! My first ever Reale and it is from 1778 !!! Now I don't want to give the location away but it is near some early Spanish activity in the the Bay Area . This is one I can mark off the list . Then not more than 10 feet away I had a +80 at three inches , 1943S Mercury dime . Carson was trying to find some silver but never did . He did find a 1954 S wheat cent . What a hunt , I still can't believe I found one !
    HH
    Glen
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Always looking for that next ring !!

Congrats! It's usually the guys back east who get the Spanish coins or down in Louisiana. I think that's the first California Spanish I have seen. Looks like it was on edge too. Excellent detecting! Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

You just never know when something extraordinary like that is going to pop up . Well done !

WTG on spotting that old looking area. on knocking one off the bucket list. Don't hate me but I think its better than a ring.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

How amazing is it to find 1700s Spanish Silver in California?!!!!

There is a guy on YouTube named Ron Swenson who does it once in a while so I knew it was possible.

That is an incredible find, Glen! Huge congrats!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Glen I knew it was a matter of time before you found some spanish silver , California was a territory and was settled by them back in the 1600's . great find
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks everyone ! I can't stop looking at it ! Worn or not it is a beauty !
    Glen
    Always looking for that next ring !!

Very cool... They are tough finds here in the East. I imagine it is many times harder that far West
    Gary
    Dutchess County NY
    https://www.youtube.com/user/gkillmer
    Present: CTX 3030, Detectorpro Uniprobe
    Past: Minelab E-Trac, Exp- II, Sov
    Oldest US Coin: 1793 Liberty Cap Cent
    Story http://goo.gl/1GR9cR

Oldest Silver: 1776 1/2 Reale
    Story here http://goo.gl/KaY13f

Oldest Coin: 169? King William 1/2
    Story http://goo.gl/xKjtrQ

Oldest: 3500 to 5000 year old Copper Adz

Story http://goo.gl/Xr6qIM

Elite Member
    Great find. Think of the history that coin has seen. Great find WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

WTG Glenn on the Colonial Spanish Silver! You made a GREAT memory for you & your son! Hit that place hard.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Awesome find, a Reale and it's holed as well. Congrats!!!