Thread: Saturday Hunt with Digger Al / Silver,Buff, Tokens & Dog Tag

Saturday Hunt with Digger Al / Silver,Buff, Tokens & Dog Tag

This morning Digger Al and I set out to one of our favorite towns for some door-knocking. The morning started out good, 15 minutes into the first yard, I dug a 1911 Barber Dime. We didn't find much after that so after about an hour we decided to move on. The second house was next door to a house we hunted with Tony Two-Cent last month. Alec dug a 1923 Buffalo about 8 feet from where Tony found a seated dime last month. He also dug a "Vote for LOUIS L. EMMERSON for Secretary Of State" token. Alec Googled it and found that he was elected for Secretary of State in 1916, and later became the governor of the state of Illinois. I found about half a dozen wheats. The last house we hunted I dug a 1923 Merc, A 1936 Bureau County dog dag, a bell shaped tag that reads "Bell's Pine Tar Honey - Cures Coughs". Alec dug an 1850 Merchant Token that on the Obverse it reads: "Watches - Clocks - Jewelry - & Fancy Goods" On the top of the reverse above the eagle it reads: "A.B. VAN COTT" and on the bottom of the reverse BELOW the eagle it reads: "Racine-Wisconsin". After some research Alec learned that this is a rarer version of this token. The more common version actually read "Racim-Wisconsin" Obviously Racim is an error. Together we dug a total of 17 wheats.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Last edited by Digger Don; 10-18-2014 at 11:48 PM.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Awesome hunt ! Some great stuff !

Wow you guys were killin it Nice combination of finds! I was looking to see what that token looked like, found one here https://www.cointalk.com/threads/odd...ra-cim.227207/
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Are you guys still hunting with only one Etrac cause the quantity of finds looks like you have 2 Etracs. If you only have one then I can't wait to see your posts when you get two. Love the tokens and early dog tag. First good dig is a Barber...fantastic. Tell DiggerAl that to find that Buff so close to where Tony was hunting is great cause I'm sure Tony doesn't leave much behind.

on all the keepers. Question for you, do you have any special displays of your finds? Would love to see them.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Are you guys still hunting with only one Etrac cause the quantity of finds looks like you have 2 Etracs. If you only have one then I can't wait to see your posts when you get two. Love the tokens and early dog tag. First good dig is a Barber...fantastic. Tell DiggerAl that to find that Buff so close to where Tony was hunting is great cause I'm sure Tony doesn't leave much behind.

on all the keepers. Question for you, do you have any special displays of your finds? Would love to see them.
    Yes, we now have 2 E-tracs, Alec got his in June and we just added the Sunray probe to it a couple of weeks ago.
    As far as the Buff, the house we hit Saturday was next door to the house Tony hit. Tony's was just off the property line in that yard and Al's was just off the propety line next door. I agree, if it was the same yard, there's no way Tony would have missed it. Especially that Day.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

That barber is an excellent find. They are my favorite coins.

I am envious about the Buffalo . For some reason I have yet to put my coil over a Buffalo Nickle. Sooner or later I will come across one.
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

Man Don yet another great Saturday the barber is in great condition and nice pile of wheats and congrats to Digger Al digging that buff and awesome old token you guys always seem to find some cool old tokens
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Congrats on a nice hunt, WTG.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Very nice pile of old coins, Don, but I think my favorites are the dog tag and the old tokens, especially that 1850 Merchant Token! Wow, that's an oldie! Fantastic piece of history there.

You and Alec are having an incredible year! (I know I keep saying that, but it's true!)

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Great tokens and dog tag! Oh and the barbers nice too. Congrats!!