Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunday's Cellar hunt*3 copper day, Silver Knee Buckle, Dagger Hilt*

Sunday's Cellar hunt*3 copper day, Silver Knee Buckle, Dagger Hilt*

While driving to some new sites at 6:00am Sunday, I said to Dave that I had a good feeling. The ticks were out in full force and I am still soar from all the hiking but it was worth it.
    The scenery was gorgeous and so were the finds. Scored my second solid Knee buckle but this one seems older with an Iron tongue and chape that crumpled off when I cleaned it. Also found my 2nd ever dagger or rapier "Hilt" The 3 copper day included an interesting counterfeit Connecticut and a clipped planchet Connecticut. The 1831 has great detail and the detecting Gods even tossed in an Indian and wheat penny. Some tombacs and other relics just added to the fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images                  
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Beautiful scenery, finds and photos, Todd!

The counterfeit Connecticut and the Large Cent both cleaned up really well. I love the color of the Large Cent.

The dagger hilt is very cool too. You earned your nickname "Hiltzy" on that one!

But the find of the day must be that solid silver knee buckle! Too bad about the tongue and chape but let's face it, the buckle displays better without them. What a wonderful relic!

Congrats on the fantastic day!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

wow that Connecticut looks pretty similar to Jeff"s Counterfeit he found last year , also a sand cast example i wonder if they are the same variety .

the silver knee buckle is a beautiful piece Todd getting two in one year is quite a feat. you had a super hunt .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Todd... just an unreal hunt there... another SILVER knee buckle to the collection and then that dagger hilt.... I'll be right back, gonna mop some of this drool off my keyboard . Big congrats on these gorgeous personal items Todd. Do you think this is a virgin site you're exploring? This is definitely your year, keep that streak alive! HH
    I <3 colonial relics!

Great hunting Todd. Love the coins, even the clipped planchet adds to the eye appeal. Another silver knee buckle....huge .

The "hilt" is something that does not appear that often. A little concerned, I don't see a picture of the wheat.....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Simply lovely finds Todd, the sword/dagger hilt is awesome and the knee buckle....wowser! The counterfeit copper turned out nice. Do they ring up different than a genuine one? What composition are they as opposed to originals? Thanks for sharing just wonderful!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Wow indeed! Some very cool finds Todd. Eagle eye Dan is right. There is a strong similarity between the two counterfeit CTs.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Congrats on the 2'nd silver buckle and hilt Todd! Well worth the worn shoes.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Tony Two-Cent
    Beautiful scenery, finds and photos, Todd!

The counterfeit Connecticut and the Large Cent both cleaned up really well. I love the color of the Large Cent.

The dagger hilt is very cool too. You earned your nickname "Hiltzy" on that one!

But the find of the day must be that solid silver knee buckle! Too bad about the tongue and chape but let's face it, the buckle displays better without them. What a wonderful relic!

Congrats on the fantastic day!
    Your right Tony, the knee buckle frame looks better with out the crumpled iron guts. Thanks
    del
    wow that Connecticut looks pretty similar to Jeff"s Counterfeit he found last year , also a sand cast example i wonder if they are the same variety .

the silver knee buckle is a beautiful piece Todd getting two in one year is quite a feat. you had a super hunt
    They do look like same variety Dan...good eye. I'm getting lucky with the solid silver buckles
    Isaac
    Todd... just an unreal hunt there... another SILVER knee buckle to the collection and then that dagger hilt.... I'll be right back, gonna mop some of this drool off my keyboard . Big congrats on these gorgeous personal items Todd. Do you think this is a virgin site you're exploring? This is definitely your year, keep that streak alive! HH
    Thanks Isaac, persistence is key. The site is not Virgin, we ended up at 3 different sites Sunday
    aloldstuff
    Great hunting Todd. Love the coins, even the clipped planchet adds to the eye appeal. Another silver knee buckle....huge .

The "hilt" is something that does not appear that often. A little concerned, I don't see a picture of the wheat.....
    Thanks AL, I agree with you on the clipped planchet and the wheat was 1944
    Bell-Two
    Simply lovely finds Todd, the sword/dagger hilt is awesome and the knee buckle....wowser! The counterfeit copper turned out nice. Do they ring up different than a genuine one? What composition are they as opposed to originals? Thanks for sharing just wonderful!
    Yes Tony, the counterfeits ring up much lower on the VDI scale. A normal CT copper rings up in the high 70's while counterfeits ring up usually in the 30-50 range. This one rand at 37 VDI

Nice dagger hilt and silver buckle. So cool.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmoose View Post
    Nice dagger hilt and silver buckle. So cool.
    Thanks Kevin, after some help with a friend researching the Hilt I think it may be a sword or rapier hilt http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...76d2dcab97.jpg

another sweeet hunt you had.these sites have all been pretty amazing in this area.i think i may have found a couple more interesting areas
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Awesome bunch of finds you got there Todd Don't ya wish that when they made those shoe buckles that the entire buckle was made from silver!! Tony is right though the buckle looks much better without the corroded away guts

A truly wonderful hunt Todd! I wanted to inquire about the wheat but Al beat me to it
    You had a penny grand slam! I'll have to visit this thread again to take it all in
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I'm hoping Jeyes or Don will comment on the counterfeits , as i'm really hoping they are the copies of the same variety.

WTG Todd! Definitely looks like a rapier to me based on the rings at the top of the guard.

Not sure why you think it's counterfeit. It looks like one of the large letter varieties of 1787. Also like the clipped piece. I saw one once that had 4 clips on it. Silver knee buckles are RARE! Nice find!
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

As Don M has stated, it is a large letter variety of 1787, after looking thru the books and a couple C4 auction catalogs, I am fairly certain the Obverse of both CT coppers, yours and Jeff's are Obverse 26, with no photo of Jeff's reverse, cannot say which reverse, either a.1 or AA, or kk.1.

CT coppers are hard to attribute at times, especially ground founds, but if Dan or Don M look maybe they can agree or disagree on what I think Todd's CT is. 1787 Miller 26-kk.1 Very hard to say with 100% certainty due to the wear/corrosion. I did not rule out a.1 or AA but I think I see a mismatch with both of those reverses.
    http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_co...r_26_kk.01.htm Minted at "The Company for Coining Coppers" (November 12, 1785 - June 1, 1787) New Haven CT

No matter what, if it is a M.26, it is at least a Rare variety

I do not think they are counterfeits, but did you weigh them by any chance?

Don H
    Last edited by Jyes; 10-30-2014 at 01:56 PM. Reason: ADDED RARITY

I'm watching this thread with great interest. I know next to nothing about state coppers but I'm trying to absorb everything I can on the subject. From what I understand, Todd only thought his copper was counterfeit due to how it rang up on his machine. It is curious that a genuine coin would ring up so low. Perhaps it is a genuine CT copper struck on an inferior planchet?

I will eat my popcorn and let the experts weigh in.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Don and Jyes , Jeff's coin i was present when he found that coin it reads very low (like a bottle cap instead of copper coin) on the machines compared to a a usual Connecticut copper suggesting its not made with copper or a mixed metal composition. Todd has said in his post that his coin also does not read in the usual copper vdi's area of his machine , both coins look very grainy almost like they were made in a sand cast mould . I am mearly questioning that the same variety of Connecticut26 was used to make the cast for both counterfeits or were Connecticut coppers made with mixed or debased metals at the mint??

Todd could you weight this coin in atleast grams or grains , Jeff same question and also post a nice reverse picture.