Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello fellow MD'ers!!!

Hello fellow MD'ers!!!

Hey guys, I'm new to the metal detecting hobby....like I've only watched videos of Metal Detecting
    I'm looking to get a detector myself and have been debating between the two;
    "Bounty Hunter QD2GWP Quickdraw II"
    or
    "Garret ACE 250"
    Both are around the price range I'm looking to spend (or have santa buy me )
    As far as what/where I would like to hunt.... Probably start off at parks/schools (hoping for some gold/silver jewelry) or maybe just some beach hunts/lakes.... any and all advice is much appreciated, or even if you guys have any recommendations on any other beginner detectors....

Happy Hunting!!

Welcome to the forum, MoneyMan! Glad you joined us!

I can't tell you much about the Bounty Hunter but I know that many people have success with the Garrett Ace 250. It seems to be the most popular detector for people entering the hobby.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Thanks for the reply Tony Two-Cent!!! I am leaning more towards the Bounty Hunter only because it comes in a package deal. Includes pin pointer, headset, bag, and some other Misc items... Thanks again! I will keep your input in mind!

Welcome to the forum! I started with an ACE 250 and it only took me 19 months to find $1,500 worth of money and jewelry so I could buy an e-trac. A couple days ago someone posted a thread about a metal detector dealer who is going out of business and he is selling off his inventory at cost. He had some ACE 250s and other detectors too. Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Thanks for the input DaddyDigger.... I'll definitely check that out. HH

Hello and welcome to the forum MoneyMan , I'm afraid neither one of them machines you listed handle the wet sand at the beach well. you'll do ok in the dry sand but the wet sand will cause both machines to false and act erratically . I wish you luck on your future hunts .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    I'm afraid neither one of them machines you listed handle the wet sand at the beach well. you'll do ok in the dry sand but the wet sand will cause both machines to false and act erratically
    Dan, did garrett improve their machines lately? The 350 says there was a new model redesign and it can handle the beach. The 250 doesn't say anything of such, however, I thought Lou and Bri were saying the 250/350 didn't have any display on target ID. I remember both saying they were going by tone on what to dig. I just checked the site I got my recent trowel at and both models have target ID. (maybe not VDI number tho).

I have the Time Ranger which is no longer in their line up. I was going to mention that the bounty hunter, even tho you can find the lower models at places like Dick's and Radioshack, the mid to higher models have target ID and VDI. Both the Ace and the Bounty hunter have a slight lag. The QDII I just read manual and doesn't state the coil needs to move over a target to detect it. One quirk tho, BH have the push in connector so coils are somewhat specific. I been looking for a DD coil, one place went out of stock, another places stating it has the best prices...is $30 more than the company out of stock. Certain fisher coils will work on the BH, as long as it's an earlier generation coil. The newer fisher models are twist lock.

Welcome from central Maryland. I started out with the Bounty hunter gold digger for $50.00.And man let me tell you I`m hooked. It`s done paid for itself several times over. Although I`ve had to rebuild the handle a few times but it`s still one of my favorites.

Hello and Welcome from Ohio I own the ace 350 and love it never had it on the beach. I owned the Ace 150 it didn't do well on the wet sand but worked great in the dry sand best of luck to you on your decision ive not been disappointed by my Garrett machines and I would also suggest the pro pointer as well love mine HH Ben
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Welcome to a very addicting hobby and I hope that all the above information is useful to you. I am a White's type of guy but if I had to choose between the two it would be the Ace 250. I didn't do as great as DaddyDigger with the clad but in 18 months I had $750, close enough for me to upgrade to the V3i. Just remember, no matter how good a detector, it can't find anything if its in a closet.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Welcome to a very addicting hobby..... Just remember, no matter how good a detector, it can't find anything if its in a closet.
    Both very true
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Moneyman,
    Welcome from the Lone Star State. It's good to have you aboard. I am a Garrett man, mainly because it is a US product and the service is outstanding. The choice is yours and I understand that money is a consideration. Just get a detector and start swingin'. Happy huntin'.
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00

You guys are all awesome! Thank you for the input, I will definitely take all of this into consideration! Please excuse my ignorance...but would detecting in wet/moist dirt be an issue as well? Or is it just the wet sand that causes this problem ? Also, when at the beaches; if I detect along where the dry sand is but get to a deeper dig where the sand is wet will this effect my hunting ? Thanks again !

Hi and welcome from Northern Illinois. I haven't used either one, so I cant be of any help. Sorry.
    But, for what it's worth, I've heard that garrets customer service is excellent.
    Good luck with your decision. Now, Get out there and start swinging
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyMan View Post
    would detecting in wet/moist dirt be an issue as well? Or is it just the wet sand that causes this problem?
    Wet dirt is way better because it allows the metal targets to be more conductive and its A LOT easier to dig up! As for wet sand I don't know if fresh water vs. salt water makes any difference since I have never beach hunted. Someone else will have to chime in on that. HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Welcome from Washington state. Whatever you choose, get out there and have fun. You'll be hooked in no time!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Welcome from West Virginia. This is a wonderful forum to learn on, I know I have.

Welcome to the forum!

If they're both in the same price range, I'd pick the Bounty Hunter package since you're getting a pinpointer. Headphones are good too. I have a Bounty Hunter pinpointer that came with the used V3i I bought. It's a backup in case my ProPointer dies or gets lost, but works well. They make much quicker work over waving handfulls of dirt in front of the coil.

The Garrett is a bit easier to use out of the box, but if you get into the hobby these are hopscotch machines. As stated, get out there!
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Welcome to the forum from Kalamazoo Michigan When I started it was long before either of those machines were on the market, I did help a gal get going with her Ace 250 at a beach, it's a very easy detector to use and does a great job, she was very pleased with what little I could show her cause she didn't have a clue.

Welcome to our group, you'll learn stuff on either machine
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew