Hi guys, Ridirtdigger here and I just completed my first semester of College at the University of Rhode Island. I took two archaeology courses and was extremely surprised by the amount of bias shown in the courses. The courses basically displayed Archaeologists as modern day heroes who save history and all other people as looters, and destroyers of history. One of my courses called the famous treasure hunter Mel Fisher a modern day Pirate showing him to be interested in nothing but the profit and destroying history to get the most money. I felt that was a little harsh. The courses said over and over that "context is the key" to everything which is why I organize all of my relics by site and don't separate them based on categories. I feel that helps preserve context. Archaeologists also say "just cause we don't have the money to excavate a site now doesn't mean we won't in the future". This is not true. Five years from now the virgin cellar hole may be gone and a subdivision in its place. All of that history gone forever. Although the courses didn't mention metal detecting it did say things like "don't pick up artifacts on the ground". Apparently even picking something off the ground destroys the context forever. Overall I feel the educational system is trying to make potential archaeologists biased against anyone else who gets in their way. Archaeologists who try to own the past end up destroying the majority of it.