Thread: Any thoughts on age of ring.

Any thoughts on age of ring.

I was able to get out today to a friends land just north of Milford Kentucky. They own 200acres in a very rural area and Jody (the owner) grew up in what is now the old farmhouse back in the 50s. the house is no longer lived in and it is an old log cabin from the mid 1800s that has been re-sided and had some additions over the years. The log barn is still standing next to it but covered in metal siding. It was great to see all the hand hewn logs, I can't believe how much work went into log cabins.
    One of my finds today, besides a few wheat cents and a bunch of toy cars, was the ring below. The family believes that it may be the lost ring of Jody's Grandmother. I found it in the area near where the outhouse would have been located. It is .925 and a smaller size that would fit a woman. It has a makers mark that has what appears to be a person inside of an Omega/horseshoe symbol. Can anyone make a guess at a possible age based on my crappy pictures? I won't be able to take a better photo as I returned all of the finds to the owners.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Ron

Name:  IMG_0724.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  27.1 KBName:  IMG_0723.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  34.9 KB
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

My best guess would be that the ring is from the mid 20th century, judging by the design and the 925 mark.

Do you think the maker's mark could be this one?:

Name:  Worden-Munnis.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  40.8 KB

Doesn't really look like an exact match, does it?
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 12-17-2014 at 09:27 AM.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That doesn't look quote like it Tony. I looked through all of the Hallmarks that I could find online but none seemed to match. I didn't take a very good picture because I wasn't planning on posting it or anything. The ring would have been lost probably in the 60s and I suppose that just because Grandma lost it doesn't necessarily make it an heirloom. . It was still a nice couple of hour hunt and I enjoyed returning all of the finds to the owners.
    I'll go back when the weather allows with the Etrak to look for silver. The site is virgin and has an old cellar hole and foundation also that will be nice to hunt.

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

I use to think that all of the 925 marked jewelry was the modern stuff but having researched it, it actually goes back quite a way, a lot of the old 925 was also marked with NF which meant nickel free.

I couldn't help ya with it's age, but I can tell you it's a great find!!
    Congrats!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Congratulations on the nice ring. Glad you could return it to the family. Hope you have a good hunt on your return visit.
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00