I received permission to detect a piece of property I've been eyeing for years. I use to detect the crap out of the surrounding area with some good success, but according to my old maps there was a church,school,general store and 2 residents in that field. I don't think I ever found the site of the general store or church. The whole area was wiped out in the early 1930s during a big flood. The store,church and school are on my 1830 map. Anyway...I had always suspected the map was a bit off and figured the place I wanted to detect was on the adjoining property that I did not have permission to be on.
I made a few calls yesterday and found that land was owned by the township trustee and with a few more calls, I received unlimited access to the property. So last night after work I drove down there to walk the fields with a headlamp to see if I could find any broken glass,crock or brick...or any other indication that there was something in that field. So there I was at 2am walking muddy fields with a headlamp and flash light I started to find tons of broken china and red brick and to my surprise I found a flat button laying rite on top of the ground...then another and another..then I found an old drawer pull, broken silver plated spoon and a buckle...all laying on top of the ground! I found a lot of other things like plastic and glass buttons, bits of iron and some fancy broken china pieces. I can't wait to run a detector over that place after winter and before they plant the field...if I found all of that laying on top of the ground, I suspect it's gonna be one heck of a place! Lots of iron, so it won't be easy. I'm almost certain that is the site of the general store...likely a lot of things washed across that field during the flood.