Thread: Very short hunt today, but found some Gold

Very short hunt today, but found some Gold

I didn't think I was going to get any detecting done this weekend, but a very short window of opportunity opened up this afternoon. I didn't have time to drive to any out of town sites so I tried a grade school here in town.

Nothing too exciting in the finds department except for a small gold object. It is marked 14K Gold and I think it must be part of a girl's watch. It is inscribed "Rosana Gordan 1948".

I also found an old spoon and a cold cream jar. I haven't been able to get the lid off the jar yet, but I'm sure it's full of silver coins.

Name:  Display-1221_zps5fa8b74a.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  135.1 KB
    Name:  Gold-1_zps23ecf37f.JPG
Views: 63
Size:  91.6 KB
    Name:  Gold-2_zps789bc001.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  73.9 KBName:  Jar_zps3d7a7abe.JPG
Views: 63
Size:  43.7 KBName:  Spoon_zps5bf58f9f.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  87.4 KB

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 12-15-2017 at 12:10 PM.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That's a great find Tony. I like the gold! How did it ring up? Is that an LE in the circle to the left of the 14K? If so then it could be a Lady Elgin watch. Have you Googled her name yet? Any hits? I'm glad you were able to get out if only for a bit. Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Nice job digging Gold today. I bet that brought a smile to your face
    Congrats !! I'm glad you were able to get out today.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

congrats on your finds the jar could be another contest quess what inside just kidding nice to see some people are getting out

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    That's a great find Tony. I like the gold! How did it ring up? Is that an LE in the circle to the left of the 14K? If so then it could be a Lady Elgin watch. Have you Googled her name yet? Any hits? I'm glad you were able to get out if only for a bit. Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    It rang up as 12-14. I thought it was going to be a nickel. I can't tell for sure what the symbol is, but it might be "LE". I Googled the name "Rosana Gordan" but did not get any matches that were local.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Are you telling us that at this school in 1948 Rosanna Gordon was eating cold cream with a large spoon
    congrats on the finds
    it has to be awesome to find something with a name and date and know they were standing in that same spot that many years ago

Great score on the 14K Tony is the spoon nickelsilver? it kinda looks like it. By the shape that it's in if its nickel silver you can really make that stuff shine with a good buffing with rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by giant056 View Post
    Great score on the 14K Tony is the spoon nickelsilver? it kinda looks like it. By the shape that it's in if its nickel silver you can really make that stuff shine with a good buffing with rouge.
    Yes, it says nickel silver on the back. I will give that a try!
    Lifetime totals:

Great short hunt Tony I've yet to find Gold great find on yours I like the spoon too looks old glad you got out for a bit Merry Christmas Ben
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Nice that you are still able to get out. Nice piece of gold and Clad Killer's response just cracked me up.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album