Thread: Any Bounty Hunter experts out there?

Any Bounty Hunter experts out there?

I've been keeping my eye out for a new but inexpensive machine for my nephew. I noticed this site is selling the Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 for $120. Does anyone know anything about it? Apparently that model is being discontinued, which is why the price for that unit is less than the lower end Discovery models (1100 and 2200). Does anyone know anything about this unit? Is Discovery just a brand that BH purchased? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

http://goodluckbargains.com/index.ph...tal%20detector
    Last edited by Mr. Digger; 12-24-2014 at 07:54 AM.
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

Not so sure the Discovery models are being discontinued. That was the thing with the Time Ranger I got yet BH still has it on their site in their line up. If you are saying that Discovery used to be a brand that BH bought, then you are saying the same about pioneer. IDK... but I do know that Texas First LLC is the main company that owns Fisher Labs and Bounty Hunter. They not only make detectors but night vision equipment as well. Other than the links below and what I said, I haven't owned the Discovery model. (The time ranger is only $30 less than their top model). I did notice tho, the 3300 one has manual ground balance. Prob not easy for a first timer to use having to balance it every time going out and possibly every so often during a hunt.

http://bountyhuntermetaldetector.com/bounty_hunter_Metal_Detector_Comparison.htm

http://www.detecting.com/bounty-hunter-models.htm

I have two BH, my first is the gold digger and second is the fast tracker. It`s was and still is my favorite and so easy to use. I have had to rebuild the handle on the gold digger. I paid $50.00 for it through amazon and it`s paid for itself several times. Laugh at it if you want but I`ve found several good pieces with it. Good luck and merry Christmas.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I was just reading up on the Discovery 3300 this week. They appear to have a lot of features for a minimal price. The manual ground balance could be an issue for a really young person, or it could be a great way for a young man to learn an upper level lesson about the changes in mineralization. From what I read, it's a 6 to 7 inch deep machine consistently. The only real negatives I read about it was a slow recovery time. This of course means the operator must maintain a slow and steady swing speed. This really shouldn't be a negative issue as again it will teach the young man to be slow and steady himself. The other issue was that your custom discrimination setting will change when you use the pinpoint feature. Not sure about the details of that one.

For the money, I'd say it would be a fine starter unit for your nephew. You could certainly spend a lot more for the same features.

Quote Originally Posted by GA1dad View Post
    The only real negatives I read about it was a slow recovery time. This of course means the operator must maintain a slow and steady swing speed. This really shouldn't be a negative issue as again it will teach the young man to be slow and steady himself. The other issue was that your custom discrimination setting will change when you use the pinpoint feature. Not sure about the details of that one.
    The Ace 150-350 are also machines with a lag/recovery time as well, in case you were thinking those options. The only time I ever noticed a lag on my TR was after adding a bluetooth transmitter. A speaker ( or headphones with annoying cord) are instantaneous. The bluetooth has to take the sound on the jack, convert it to data, and then transmit it serially. Not part of the detector design tho. I was able to get a CT copper next to a piece of iron which every machine still 'hears' even if there is no tone.

I will agree on the custom discrimination tho. I Just read the manual and the machine turns on in All-metal mode so iron is detected. You have to hit the discriminate button once to null the iron category. With mine, If I discriminate something like pull tabs, hit a target, go into pinpoint mode to locate it and dig, then put it back into program 1 to carry on swinging, the thing will be back at default program 1 with only iron discriminated. Maybe it will be a fuss only if doing a park with a lot of trash the swapping and re-discriminating might make it take a little longer.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 12-24-2014 at 12:26 PM.

You may want to give a look on the Home Depot and Wal-Mart web sites as they both sell Bounty hunters. Wal-mart has a "Pioneer series", I bought the 202 a few years back and really enjoyed it(Still have it and use it on occasion). Great entry level machines....

Dan

i have a bounty hunter treasure hunter by cabela's. a $200 machine Ill be selling for $120. i have youtube videos on this good metal detector with good discrimination and notch. I've found gold and silver this year along with some killer relics. i've never had the sensitivity up all the way in fact almost left it at default every hunt. there is target id and depth reading. no volume control if your hunting with lots of people around but head phone jack works good. small learning curve but thats the case with every detector.
    not trying to push my sale on you and just sharing info I know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmSr...rgKR0LAbI44xvA

Another good detector i hear for lower money is a tesoro compadre at 160 new.
    hope this helps
    Ben